7 Songs to Help Us Forget It’s Already 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Where did 2017 go?! This year (and the past few, if I’m honest) have flown by. As I age, I find that time moves more quickly, and it makes me long for the days when I was a kid without a care in the world other than which pencil case best matched my backpack. What better way to pretend time isn’t moving at a lightning speed then to reminisce about simpler times by listening to some throwback tunes from our youth?

1.     Beautiful Soul- Jesse McCartney

Now, this came out in 2004, at which point I was only 7 years old; however, my 7-year-old self recalls Jesse being a major heartthrob! I can remember anxiously awaiting my turn to use my older sister’s pink iPod Classic on long car trips with the fam, ready to rock out to Jesse’s angelic voice. A beautiful soul, indeed.

Image via Giphy.com

2.     Unwritten- Natasha Bedingfield

This was on the radio nonstop when it was first released in 2004, if my memory serves correctly. We all remember the hype as the pre-chorus escalated (“Release your inhibitions!”) and then the giggles that would ensue after our entire group of friends, listening together, screamed “FEEL THE RAIN ON YOUR SKIN!” Ah, good times.

Image via Giphy.com

3.     Boulevard of Broken Dreams- Green Day

Like all of the others on this list, this one certainly made its radio rounds. This is one of those songs that everyone in the car ends up humming along to, despite not knowing all the words. Even the grumpiest of car-trip travelers winds up muttering, “ohhh, oooh, oooh, ooooh” under their breath. And by the final chorus, they’re positively shouting, “My shadow’s the only one that walks beside me!” This one was released in 2004, again when I was only seven years old. I may have worn pigtails in my hair, but I knew a Green Day song, so I guess you could say I was “punk rock.” Hahaha.

Image via Giphy.com

4.     Sexy Back- Justin Timberlake

Why I was allowed to listen to this when I was 9, I don’t recall (probably because my older sister at the time would’ve been thirteen and made the music decisions on car rides.) It’s a good song though, complete with those sweet signature JT vocals (albeit with some material inappropriate for an elementary kid). But it’s sure to be a musical throwback that gets you in the spirit of the easier times of the early 2000’s.

Image via Giphy.com

5.     Too little, Too Late- JoJo

When this came out in 2006, I thought JoJo was a total badass. She was just so cool, and pretty, and awesome (and I was anything but… I wore skorts, like all the time.)  I mean, talk about female empowerment- kicking that “playa” to the curb! Also, she was amazing in Aquamarine, so there’s that, too. Listening to this one will totally take you back to the elementary school days, when cell phones were exclusively used by parents and that one super cool kid that lived down the block, and people still wore Sketchers (mine were sparkly…so…just saying.) Bonus points if you can imitate that super high run she does at the end.

Image via Giphy.com

6.     Bubbly- Colbie Caillait

This soothing song seemed to be playing all the time when it was released. I have a specific memory of being picked up from softball practice, and this playing in the car on the ride home. I remember that being a good day, and now every time I hear this song, I feel nostalgic for the “good old days”-circa 2007. This one is soft and calm, and could almost act as a lullaby… I feel a little drowsy just thinking about it. Add this one to your playlist to help you fall asleep.

Image via Giphy.com

7.     Halo- Beyoncé

A Beyoncé classic. I can remember listening to this with my sister and best friend in sixth grade, attempting to play it ourselves on piano and guitar with our limited musical knowledge. This one definitely brings back memories of being a pre-teen, with flashbacks of flare jeans and sparkly Limited Too T-shirts. Turn it on and prepare to reminisce! Bonus points if you sing every echo on “halo” like Beyoncé.

Image via Giphy.com

So there we have it, 7 songs to help you slow time down just a little (or at least get you out of the present)! 2018 may be here, but these jams are sure to help it feel a lot more like 2008. Get listening!

Image via Giphy.com

Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)