This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Ahh, roommates. Can’t live with them; can’t live without them (because then rent would just be ridiculous). Roommates can be great. They are there during good and bad times, which basically means weekends and finals week, through breakups and hookups, and they even share their food with you. But sometimes, you can experience a bad roommate, a roommate that makes you consider spending a couple extra hundred dollars a month for a single room. These are the roommates that take up your closet space, borrow your clothes without asking, and leave their wet towels on the floor (THE WORST).

But what if you are the roommate? What if those are your wet towels lying on the ground? What if you have been (unbeknownst to you) breaking the silent but deep-rooted rules that you just DON’T break? 

So, here are 5 signs to find out if you’re, to put it simply, hated by your roommate.

1. Your Stuff Always Ends Up On Your Roommate’s Side of The Room

How did your dirty workout shoes and sports bra end up underneath your roommate’s bed? Who’s to say? But, maybe next time be aware of where you throw your stuff and try to aim towards your side. 

2. You Sexile Them Constantly

You probably are convinced your roommate loves being in the living room, but, in all honesty, she most likely just wants to lie in bed. While your sexy time with your FWB, partner, or SO is great and fun, make sure you make time for the other person who sleeps in the room. 

3. You Never Use Headphones

Wait, what?! Your roommate doesn’t want to hear what you are watching on Netflix OR your newest Spotify playlist? It’s not that you don’t have impeccable taste in music, but your roommate probably doesn’t want to hear it 24/7. But on some headphones when your roomie isn’t feeling the vibe (because we don’t want to kill anyone’s vibe *lol at Kendrick Lamar reference*

4.  You Are Loud AF

You might think your roommate is hard of hearing, but really she is trying to block out all the noise you are making. Try your best to keep it quiet, especially when she is sleeping because no one ever likes to be woken up by a chirping phone or a slamming door. Haven’t you heard never to wake a sleeping bear? 

5. You Think Your Roommate’s Stuff Is Yours

You might think that your roomie’s clothes are definitely up for grabs because as the Mexican saying goes “Mi casa es su Casa.” WRONG. Unless you and your roommate have already established that everything is up for grabs, make sure to always ask to borrow or use something no matter how cute that scarf is. 

My name is Lisa Raub, and I am fourth year here at the University of California Santa Barbara. I am an English Major with a minor in Professional Writing. I studied abroad in Paris and London, traveling everywhere from Belgium to Spain to Italy, basically leaving Europe completely broke but extremely happy. I can often be found with a dog-eared book or an almost illegible journal beside me. When I am not reading or writing, I am usually watching A LOT of Netflix or soaking up the sun. Follow my insta: @lisawantspizza
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.