15 Murals in Isla Vista that You Must See Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Public art is one of the hidden gems of Isla Vista. Most of us are too distracted by the beautiful ocean views and the even more beautiful people to look around and realize that our quaint coastal town is host to a myriad of impressive paintings strewn across walls, houses, and fences. These designs, which have been painted and repainted over the last couple of decades, are a symbol of IV’s perpetually free spirited citizens. Most of the murals we see today have been created by students themselves in an effort to keep our cherished college town colorful and unique. So go for a bike ride to enjoy some free and local art or just to snap an insta pic to show how cultured you are. Here are some of our favorite murals in IV and on campus:  

Rosarito Mexican Restaurant exhibits a painting of the view from Del Playa Drive. The soft blending of blue, purple, and red give the illusion of a fiery sunset descending into the ocean. So eat your burrito, stare at the painted wall, and pretend it’s real because we all know you’re too lazy to walk to the beach.

Across the street from Rosarito’s is this colossal beach scene in which beach goers’ faces are framed by sunflowers, perhaps a reference to the vibrant and free spirited UCSB students who regularly spend their afternoons at the beach basking in the Santa Barbara sun. 

The following three works of art can be seen on some of the rentals on Del Playa. Disclaimer: don’t spend too much time observing these ones, otherwise the people who live there might think you’re stalking them and file a restraining order against you. Been there… done that. But in all seriousness, these mini murals are seriously captivating. 

Simply because there’s almost nothing more beautiful than the sun and the ocean, the next two houses again portray nature scenes that we see here nearly everyday in Santa Barbara. Hashtag blessed, am I right ladies?

Behind Keg and Bottle Market in what looks like an abandoned car wash is this incredibly detailed painting of an octopus against a bright turquoise background. Check it out! But don’t go alone. You would be surprised how creepy an abandoned car wash can be. Really gives you the heeby jeebies. 

This deep sea depiction of a turtle swimming alongside some brightly colored fish on a house on Sabado Tarde Road was designed by students in 2014 and was lovingly dedicated to the victims of the shooting that took place earlier that year.

Caje displays a massive mural that wraps around the entire cafe illustrating mostly scenes of nature, but if you look into the reflection of the van window you can see a historical reference to the bank burning that occurred in the 70s where Embarcadero Hall is now located. Next time you go for a coffee with your friends, point it out, and everyone will think you’re super smart and sophisticated.

The fence at Greek Park displays the many emblems of our lovely fraternities and sororities here at UCSB. Even these individuals, who are budding socialites and philanthropists, have taken the liberty to express the importance of art in our community. Even if you’re not in greek life, it’s easy to appreciate this notion.

The next three murals are actually located on campus and are part of what make UCSB one of the most breathtaking campuses in the nation. The first, a colorful abstract painting, can be observed outside of the Arts building, and the second and third are in close proximity to San Miguel Hall and Ortega Dining Commons.

In the parking lot outside of Giovanni’s is this wide stretching mural designed and created by students in 2013. It shows UCSB in relation to other major landmarks including New Zealand, Australia, Vegas, Los Angeles, Hawaii, the Channel Islands, etc. Looking at this urban artwork reminds you of all the places you can go, and it makes you dream just a little bit bigger. 

If you want to get involved with future IV murals go to http://www.ivparks.org/mural-project/ for more information.

Photos courtesy of Rise Media Productions.

Taylor is a first year from San Diego, California. When Taylor isn't writing or journaling, you can find her shopping, playing soccer, or hanging by the beach. Her ambitious goal is to one day become Editor in Chief of a major fashion magazine.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.