stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

12 Years to Save Our Planet: What You Can Do Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Earth is our only planet, so let’s treat it as such. Our Earth is deteriorating as we speak. If we keep up this lifestyle, the next generation will be unable to experience Earth in the way it was meant to be experienced.  Plastic is consuming our seas, our carbon footprints are compromising the ozone layer, and our litter is at an all-time high.

Past and present generations are to blame for bringing Earth to this horrid state; however, it’s not too late. It is possible to repair the damage that has been done. This is an urgent issue–one that needs masses to be accomplished. We have 12 years of work to repair the Earth, so today is the best day to start.

With a few easy changes in your lifestyle, you can make a colossal difference in our planet’s health. 

Meat-Conscious 

Image via The Spruce Eats

By going vegetarian once a week, you’ll make an extensive step towards repairing Earth. If you reduce your red meat intake, it will lessen water usage and greenhouse gas emission. The food industry alone makes up 20% of our carbon footprint. Of that percentage, 75% of it is attributed to the meat and dairy industry. Livestock takes up one-third on the planet, and livestock farming releases the biggest amount of greenhouse gases than any other single human activity. There is no need to make a lifestyle change to your diet. Start with the small step of being meat-conscious. 

Limit Plastic Waste

Image via banggood.com

Annually, about 8 million metric tons of plastic are found in the ocean. It takes plastic 1000 years to decompose, so it is not going anywhere anytime soon. There are many plastic alternatives you could include in your life. For water bottles, switch it out with a hydro flask. There are bamboo toothbrushes, reusable grocery bags, and metal straws. If enough people make these simple, cheap changes, it will make a monumental difference in our ocean’s health.  

Walk When You Can

Image via Times Now

If you can walk, do it! Cars are the major cause of global warming and contribute one-fifth of all US emissions. Our cars emit “around 24 pounds of carbon dioxide and other global-warming gases for every gallon of gas.” If you don’t want to walk, you can also bike, skateboard, or rollerblade. Exercise is not only good for the Earth, but it is great for your health as well. Save the planet as you burn off some calories. However, if you do need to drive, carpool to limit your carbon dioxide emission. 

Recycle/ Pick Up Trash

Image via MarketWatch

If you see a piece of trash, pick it up! By picking up one piece of trash, it could trigger a domino effect where others will follow in suit. We do not know where that trash could go whether that is in the ocean or in a turtle’s nose, so pick it up just to be safe. Also, if you collect enough bottles and cans off the street, you can trade it into your local recycling center for some cash. Make the world around you a better place by picking up a piece or two of trash today. It will make a difference, both for today and tomorrow. 

Hello, I'm Viv a Sociology Senior at UC Santa Barbara. I am a proud dog mom of four, avid concert-goer, and constant chipotle eater. I'm an aspiring journalist and I love being part of the HerCampus team. 
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.