10 Struggles of the Bike Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Bikes- can’t live with them, can’t live without them. Although it can be a pain to have to ride them rain or shine, uphill, in circles, and while surrounded by hundreds of other students, most of us wouldn’t know what to do without them!

1. Traffic

No, not all the cars on the 101 freeway at 5 pm. I’m talking about 10 minutes before the top of the hour when everyone gets out of class and either rushes to their next one or back home.

2. Roundabouts

Basically, they should be called circles of death.

3. Parking

After searching for what sometimes seems like forever and trying to squeeze your bike between the millions of others, it’s no wonder you can never remember where you parked.

4. Texting/ Talking on the phone

Admit it, nearly all of us are guilty of doing this, but we still get annoyed when we ride pass the person in front of us and realize they have a phone in their hand.

5. Hills

Don’t be embarrassed if you’re breathing heavily and struggling to make it as others zoom by on their fixies! You do you! It’s not a race!

6. Flat tire/ Other technical difficulties

There’s nothing worse than rushing out the door 10 minutes before class and realizing you won’t be getting anywhere on your poor, broken down bike.

7. Accidents

We’ve all heard about, witnessed, or experienced the horror stories of crashes on the bike paths.

8. Theft

Bikes are most students only form of transportation; it’s so sad that some think it’s okay to steal them! Keep an eye on your bike when you can and get a sturdy lock!

9. Cars

A biker’s worst enemy. Although bikers have the right of way at UCSB, some drivers don’t know that and others don’t seem to care. So watch out!

10. Rain

A biker’s second worst enemy. I don’t know which is worse- riding to class with rain hitting you in the face or being soaking wet stuck in a class full of other drenched people.

Amber is a 4th year English major from Long Beach, CA. Some of her favorite pastimes include watching sunsets, eating burritos, and enjoying a good book outside on sunny days. She was bitten by the travel bug while spending a semester abroad in Australia and wants to explore the world! She hopes to land a career that allows her to do two of the things she loves the most- travel and write. Catch up with her on Instagram at @amber_bamm.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.