The 10 Coolest TV and Movie Moms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Moms: ya gotta love ’em! Although no one can compare to our own moms, some of the ones we’ve seen on TV and in movies have come pretty damn close. With Mother’s Day being just 2 days ago, we’re honoring the special day by doing a round-up of the 10 coolest moms from our favorite shows and films:

1. Rochelle – Everybody Hates Chris 

Chris’ mom always put her kids in their places with her inspiring (but sometimes too aggressive) sass and assertiveness and never forgot to remind you that she does not need this– her man has two jobs.

2. Leigh Anne Tuohy – The Blind Side

Although not quite blatantly sassy as Rochelle, Momma Tuohy can also throw shade (behind her Gucci’s, natch) when you don’t treat her or family right. 

3. Mrs. Wolowitz – The Big Bang Theory

We never get to see Howard’s mom, but we don’t need to! She loves Howard, but she’ll never let his smarts go to his head. Plus, Mrs. Wolowitz always keeps her Howie well-fed! 

4. Beatrix Kiddo/Black Mamba – Kill Bill

Gorgeous and bad-ass? Now that’s a lethal combination that makes for one cool mom.

5. Jessica Huang – Fresh Off the Boat

Jessica’s Tiger Mom tendencies may make her seem a bit harsh at times, but they sure make for some hilarious one-liners! She cares, she just has a different way of showing she does.

6. Elastigirl/Helen Parr – The Incredibles

Can you get any cooler than being a super-hero mom with super-stretchy abilities? Actually, yes, because Elastigirl is also the definition of girl power. Preach, Helen, preach.

7. Gloria Pritchett – Modern Family

Sure, she mixes up her English words sometimes, but Gloria is always sensitive and supportive towards Manny when Jay isn’t, even if her parenting style is sometimes… questionable.

8. Daenerys Targaryen – Game of Thrones

Okay, so she’s not a traditional mom, but, hey, she is called Mother of Dragons. She’s a strong, independent women who brought an end to slavery in Slaver’s Bay, so she has a right to be on this list!

9. Kitty Forman – That 70’s Show

Kitty is sweet and supportive, but she ain’t afraid to say what all moms think sometimes.

10. Mrs. George – Mean Girls

The OG cool mom.*

*Okay, she’s actually kind of weird and desperate, but she coined the term, so…

Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;) 
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.