Wondering What To Give Up for Lent This Year? We Got You Covered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

March 2nd marks the beginning of another Lenten season, which means millions of people around the world will be giving up an important part of their life for forty consecutive days in order to attest to their religious loyalty and faith. The origins of Lent stem back to the story of Jesus Christ fasting and praying in the desert for the same amount of time, all while resisting the sinister temptations of the devil himself to renounce God. Present-day followers now act in solidarity by giving up temptations in their lives, or even making promises that allow them to live more purely, freely and meaningfully.

While Lent is an opportunity to challenge yourself by giving up a tempting aspect of your life, sometimes the hardest part of the season is picking what to give up in the first place. I can attest to scouring the internet for new and unique ideas every year, but at the same time, I have grown up in an incredibly devoted Catholic family of five for twenty years now…so I have amassed plenty of ideas to make your search a little easier this time around. Here are eight ideas to help you prepare for this Wednesday’s commencement of the holiest of seasons:

sweets or junk food
Home Alone Eating GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Home Alone Eating GIF via Giphy

The go-to sacrifice for almost everyone during Lent is junk food or sweets. If you have a sweet tooth and can’t say no to a late-night ice-cream trip with friends, or if you’re a snacking queen that eats a whole can of Pringles in one sitting (which isn’t as hard as it should be), then this is the choice for you. You can modify if need be, such as just giving up candy, or even just quitting snacking in between meals. Or you can go all out by eliminating all desserts and sweets, or all food items you consider to be junk food. Remember, challenge yourself!

social media
Ryan Reynolds Marvel GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Ryan Reynolds Marvel GIF via Giphy

I tried giving up all social media platforms for Lent one year, and I’m not gonna lie to you, it was DIFFICULT. I felt very out of the loop and found myself checking my phone for non-existent notifications for several weeks after Lent started. But while it was challenging, this one was incredibly rewarding and even afforded me time to focus on more past-times I enjoyed. I was able to get back into reading, start drawing and painting as well as sleep better, too!

streaming services
The Bachelor Binge Watching GIF by ABC Network - Find & Share on GIPHY
The Bachelor Binge Watching GIF By ABC Network via Giphy

I know, dinner time doesn’t start until you’ve spent forty minutes scrolling through HBO Max and Hulu for a new movie to watch, effectively allowing the food to go cold and your annoyance levels to rise. Giving up streaming services will surprisingly save a lot of time you didn’t know you were wasting, and it can prompt you to make more in-person connections through real conversations with real people. Try it out!

wearing make-up
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC - Find & Share on GIPHY
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF By CBC via Giphy

I personally swipe on mascara in five seconds and call it quits for my “make-up routine,” so I cannot personally vouch for the success of this Lenten promise. But if you refuse to enter public without full-glam on, this may be an interesting and unique test to attempt. Not only will this save you money on make-up, but hopefully it will go one step further and encourage you to embrace your natural beauty. Be confident in your looks, you’re beautiful!

eating out, food delivery or fast food
Happy Food GIF by Hollyoaks - Find & Share on GIPHY
Happy Food GIF by Hollyoaks via Giphy

Food tends to be an easy option for Lent, but there is a wide range of options in this category that can be expanded to modern temptations such as food delivery apps, fast food chains, and eating out in general. Delete DoorDash off of your phone and walk to dinner, you’ll enjoy the fresh air! Stop eating out altogether for forty days and learn to cook with your friends and family, it’ll be fun! Give up fast food so that you’ll have a healthier diet, you’ll feel great and so energetic!

swearing
Thegoldbergs GIF by ABC Network - Find & Share on GIPHY
Thegoldbergs GIF by ABC Network via Giphy

Admittedly, this one was a bit of a fail for me when I tried it. Even though I vowed to give it up, old habits die hard and I ended up switching a week into Lent. BUT, if you can actually control yourself unlike me, try giving up swearing for forty days—I’m sure you’ll feel holier by the minute.

Alcohol/partying
Archie Andrews Party Hard GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Archie Andrews Party Hard GIF via Giphy

Alcohol and partying, a.k.a. the college lifestyle, is another great idea for Lent for those that could use a little more focus on school, family, work and faith. Cleansing your body will lead to feelings of renewal, and you can also have more meaningful connections with those around you. I’m not much of a partier or drinker myself, but I still can see the value in giving up such pressing temptations.

Making a promise
Eric Cartman GIF by South Park  - Find & Share on GIPHY
Eric Cartman GIF by South Park via Giphy

A lot of people are unaware that Lent doesn’t have to entail giving up something in your life, you can just as easily make a promise to satisfy your spiritual journey in forty days. Some ideas I have toyed with in the past are praying a rosary everyday, setting aside time to read the Bible every morning, complimenting a new person daily, or even volunteering on the weekends. Whatever it is you decide upon, just make sure your promise is meaningful!

One small reminder I’d like to add is that in order for your Lenten promises to be meaningful to the faith, they must be meaningful to you. If you are more of an avid reader than a Netflix connoisseur, giving up streaming services probably won’t challenge your willpower and devotion much. You get out what you put in, so go into this season with a good attitude and open heart. These forty days are to remind you of the sacrifices Jesus made to protect the world from the devil’s darkness, just have faith if the going gets tough. GOOD LUCK!

Grace LaPlante is currently a senior English major at UCLA—she’s a literature lover, music enthusiast and sports fanatic with dreams of traveling the world someday!