body images 2019 11 16 983bd7463925fc311389802b6f821efdjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 11 16 983bd7463925fc311389802b6f821efdjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why We Should Stop Sugarcoating The History Of Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

If you grew up in the United States, then you probably have memories of tracing your hand against a piece of paper to make a hand-turkey or cutting construction paper to make a pilgrim hat when you were younger. You were also told the story of why we celebrate Thanksgiving. You learned about how the Pilgrims of Plymouth and Natives paid thanks for having a successful harvest season after suffering a miserable winter. Of course, like most of the lessons we learn in our American history classes, this story is heavily sugar-coated with inaccuracies to hide some far more sinister truths about America’s historical past and present.  

America neon sign against black backdrop
Photo by Sophie Potyka from Unsplash

Professor David J. Silverman at George Washington University, author of the book This Land Is Their Landexplains how certain inaccuracies about the Thanksgiving story perpetuate harmful ideas. In the story, we learn about the friendly Native American Chief Squanto who spoke English. Squanto convinced the Wampanoag of Plymouth to equip Pilgrims with the agricultural knowledge they needed to survive. On the surface, this might seem like a heartwarming tale where the Wapanaog people helps the Pilgrims purely out of kindness. Not only is this misleading, but it romanticizes colonialism, making it appear as if the Natives willingly surrendered their land and resources so that European settlers could thrive. It also illustrates colonialism as a non-violent colonial exchange. According to, Silverman, “during Reconstruction, that Thanksgiving myth allowed New Englanders to create this idea that bloodless colonialism in their region was the origin of the country, having nothing to do with the Indian Wars and slavery. Americans could feel good about their colonial past without having to confront the really dark characteristics of it.”

This sugarcoated version of Thanksgiving allows Americans to separate themselves from a violent colonial past and believe that this land was rightly given to them, thereby evading any responsibility for the harm European settlers inflicted on Native communities.

But, you may ask, what violence is this story exactly hiding?

apple pie
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez from Unsplash
Remember the friendly Native Chief Squanto? According to Professor Silverman, Squanto’s real name was Tisquantum, and the reason he knew English was that he was sold into slavery in Spain and later in England where he learned the language. Tisquantum and the Wapanaogs did ally with the English Pilgrims, but Silverman explains that most scholars agree that they did so for survival purposes. Because of Tisquantum’s experience as an enslaved person, he understood the atrocities that European settlers could inflict on natives, and so did the Wapanaogs. In a New York Times article, Silverman writes, “since 1524…European explorers seized coastal Wampanoags to be sold into overseas slavery or to be trained as interpreters and guides.” Another problem was the spread of diseases. European colonists brought new diseases to Native communities that caused them to die in catastrophic numbers. By the time the Pilgrims of Plymouth arrived, the Wapanaogs did not have much of a choice but to ally with the English settlers to defeat their enemy, the Narragansett tribe.

There is also no evidence that the Wampanoag-Pilgrim alliance culminated in a friendly feast. Instead, the evidence shows, instead, that it culminated in a brutal war that devastated the Wampanoag tribe.

As Europeans continued to spread disease, expand their colonial pursuits, and exploit the Natives’ resources, the Wampanoag-Pilgrims alliance was strained. This eventually led to the “King Phillip’s War” where thousands of Natives were killed and enslaved. To pay thanks and celebrate their victory, the Pilgrims in Plymouth Massachusetts threw a large feast.

For many Natives and especially Wampanogas, Thanksgiving represents a day of great mourning. Professor Silverman shares, Wampanoag adults have memories of being a kid during Thanksgiving season, sitting in school, feeling invisible and having to wade through the nonsense that teachers were shoveling their way. They felt like their people’s history as they understood it was being misrepresented. They felt that not only their classes but society, in general, was making light of historical trauma which weighs around their neck like a millstone.” When we celebrate the Pilgrims on Thanksgiving Day, we ignore the tragedy that Wampanoags endured. We ignore the broken treaties, massacres and enslavement Americans continued to inflict upon millions of Natives across the Americas.

person holding a sign that says \"fight for a better tomorrow\"
Photo by Markus Spiske from Pexels

So, instead of celebrating Pilgrims violent warfare against Native Americans, Silverman suggests, we should celebrate the survival of the Wampanoags. Thanksgiving is also a story of resilience. Against all odds, the Wampanoags continue to keep their culture alive, and that is certainly something to be grateful for.  

This is why it’s important not to sugarcoat Thanksgiving history. Sugarcoating the true history minimizes the continued oppression that affects Natives today. On Thanksgiving, we should remember that Natives are not people of the past, but people in the present and the future. We should reframe the way that we celebrate Thanksgiving by recognizing how to become aware of what we can do to support Native communities.

Alexis Sanchez is a senior majoring in American Literature and Culture and minoring in Chican@/x Studies and is a Transfer Representative for HC at UCLA. She hopes to bring more marginalized perspectives into mainstream media.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.