Women Warriors: Why the Feminine Heroine Is My Favorite Book Trope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

For anyone that claims to be an avid reader, the ever-oscillating popularity of certain book tropes has most likely become an accepted fact of the pastime for you. From apocalyptic dystopias to supernatural romances to enemy-to-lover arcs, the highly publicized content published each year is normally associated with one of these (now) overused concepts. But while certain tropes have run their course (no more vampire romances, I beg of you!), my favorite one seems to be passing the test of time with flying colors. Ladies, continue to make way for the feminine heroine.

Harry Potter GIF by mtv - Find & Share on GIPHY
Harry Potter GIF By Mtv via Giphy

You know her, you love her, you want to be her. Beginning all the way back in the nineties, the female heroines of our favorite novels have been taking the literature world by storm and consequently popularizing reading as a hobby for girls all over the world. Our first look at a strong and independent young woman taking charge in a story was of Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter series. While Hermione was only one of the main characters rather than the central focus of the story, she still made her mark by inspiring female readers to be well-rounded women of intellect, bravery, kindness and loyalty. Without a doubt, Hermione Granger paved the way for hundreds of other feminine heroines that would continue to inspire and empower audiences for the decades to come.

The 2000s and early 2010s brought us characters like Tris Prior of the Divergent series and Katniss Everdeen of the Hunger Games series, among others. And where Hermione advocated for the power of female intellect, these ladies revealed the power in physical strength, rebellion and leadership.  

Hunger Games Katniss GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Hunger Games Katniss GIF via Giphy

The reason this trope will persist in the grips of time is that the lessons being taught are timeless, and the characters developed are relatable to every kind of woman. These stories offer female readers the opportunity to insert themselves into the characters’ lives and imagine what it would be like to unearth their own emotional and physical power. The best part? They actually can do it. Tris and Katniss are not unattainable archetypes of the “ideal woman” that has been portrayed in media for decades now, rather they are the inspiration of women’s potential to be everyday heroes in their own lives. 

Divergent Tris GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Divergent Tris GIF via Giphy

To my great excitement, the feminine heroine only seems to be increasing in popularity and breadth as the years go on. With new characters taking to the spotlight, such as Feyre from the ACOTAR series, Juliette from the Shatter Me series, Celaena from the Throne of Glass series, Lou from the Serpent and Dove series and June from the Legend series (to name a few), girls of all backgrounds and walks of life are able to derive inspiration and empowerment from the narratives. The possibilities for the feminine heroine are endless, and the morals being expressed only grow more significant with each successive year.

On another note, by supporting these feminine favorites in print, you’ll also be supporting the female writers behind them! As we near International Women’s Day this year, we must remember that women need to support women. The creation of these admirable characters and stories would not be possible without the ingenious creativity and dedication of these women novelists around the globe. And don’t forget, like Hermione, Katniss, Tris, Feyre and all of the other womanly warriors in your texts, you are already a courageous, capable, intelligent and powerful woman, so go make a difference in the world. Anything is possible.

Grace LaPlante is currently a senior English major at UCLA—she’s a literature lover, music enthusiast and sports fanatic with dreams of traveling the world someday!