Why Galentine’s Day Is Truly About Women Empowerment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Can you believe that Galentine’s Day was created only in 2010 by Amy Poehler’s character on Parks and Recreation? These past 10 years of celebrating friendships on February 13th have gone by so fast. No matter what your relationship status is, you can celebrate Galentine’s Day the day before Valentine’s day with friends. It is a day for women to celebrate women, so you can do all of the things girls love to do together.  

Wine with Galentine\'s Day cards flatlay
Uby Yanes

When Galentine’s Day was first created, it was meant to be a holiday to bring together all of the wonderful women in our lives and celebrate everything they have done. At the very root of Galentine’s Day is the fundamental idea of women empowering and supporting women. Valentine’s Day has traditionally been seen as a holiday meant for romantic love and can put overwhelming pressure on single people around the middle of February. In contrast, Galentine’s Day serves as the light we truly need in the cold tunnel that is the month of February.  

love foil balloon
Mandy von Stahl on Unsplash

Galentine’s Day turns away from celebrating only romantic relationships, and shifts the spotlight towards platonic and familial relationships. It serves as a defiant response to Valentine’s Day and as a reminder that romantic love is not the only kind of love worth celebrating. Roommates, sisters, mothers and friends use Galentine’s Day to celebrate each other. Since Galentine’s Day’s creation, companies have begun to advertise for this special day much like they do for Valentine’s Day. 

man and woman kissing with balloons
Photo by freestocks.org from Pexels

With only 55% of Americans planning on celebrating Valentine’s Day (according to the National Retail Federation), Galentine’s Day can step in to fill the gap in retail sales and, even more importantly, give people time for personal reflection and time to celebrate friendships. Galentine’s Day serves as a reminder that women need to stay strong and support each other through tough times. Galentine’s Day does not have to be full of pressure. It is a day to celebrate the women in your life as well as yourself. So, make this February 13th a “me day” and take the time to treat and celebrate yourself.

Women eating bruschetta together
Pexels / Adrienn

Because empowered women truly empower other women, we should take a moment to remember what Galentine’s Day is all about. This Thursday, I challenge you all to not only celebrate yourself and your accomplishments, but also celebrate those of your roommates, your friends, your sisters, your mothers and any other strong women in your life.  

Alyssa Chew is a fourth-year Electrical Engineering major at UCLA. She is excited to be a Features Writer for Her Campus at UCLA and to get involved and explore Los Angeles. Alyssa hopes you enjoy reading her articles!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.