Which 2023 Oscar Best Picture Nominee Are You Based On Your Sign?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

With the Oscars approaching tomorrow, boasting a slew of incredible best-picture nominees, now is the perfect time to catch up on your 2022 movie-watching. No time for all ten? Don’t stress! This article will tell you which movie you must watch based on your Zodiac sign:

All Quiet on the Western Front

Scorpio

Grisly, relentless and harrowing, only the devoted and enigmatic Scorpio could handle watching this German war film all the way through. All Quiet on the Western Front is not for the faint of heart. It paints an image of World War I more truthful and horrific than film has ever seen. This nominee’s narrative with take you on a journey through happiness, fear, grief and more, and it is well worth the watch.

Avatar: The Way of Water

Cancer

I promise I didn’t give this film Cancers because of its connection to water (although I won’t deny this is part of it)! Rather, both are characterized by their devotion to family, willingness to protect others and occasional sense of humor. Avatar: The Way of Water pushes the visual boundaries of film while sharing a compelling–and heartbreaking–adventure story. 

The Banshees of Inisherin

Aquarius

The Banshees of Inisherin is certainly one of the more unique films nominated. It’s a tragicomedy depicting the shifting relationship of two life-long friends in 20th Century Ireland. Like the characters it depicts, Inisherin is eccentric, isolated and detached from the rest of the world. It’s the perfect nominee for this quirky and loyal air sign. 

Elvis

Leo

With a rise to fame, intense superstardom and complex relationships, Elvis is the perfect best picture nominee for the drama-adoring and ambitious Leo. This film follows the life of its titular star told through the perspective of his manager and has all the glittering cinematography and spectacular performances you would expect!

Everything Everywhere All at Once

Gemini

Playful, intellectual and visually insane, Everything Everywhere All at Once is an absurdist comedy-drama that will take any Gemini for a RIDE! I absolutely recommend it–even if you’re not a Gemini–because of its incredible creative capacity. It’s everything from a sci-fi multiverse tale to a heartwrenching family exploration, and its originality will blow you away. (BTW, this film is going to win the Oscar for best picture, mark my words!) 

The Fabelmans

Libra

Steven Spielberg’s coming-of-age drama The Fabelmans embodies the charm, empathy and indulgence of this air sign. This film is a semi-autobiographical account of its director’s life and features protagonist Sammy Fabelman using cinema to make sense of his dysfunctional family life. Every Libra will love its balance of playful scenes and bittersweet moments.  

Tár

Pisces

Deeply imaginative, artistic and intuitive, Todd Field’s film Tár is the epitome of a dark Pisces tale. It spells the downfall of world-renowned composer Lydia Tár. The narrative is immersed in classical symphonies, hallucinatory scenes and self-important dialogue. It’s certainly not for the typical viewer, but its psychological exploration will intrigue any Pisces. 

Top Gun: Maverick

Aries, Capricorn

Top Gun: Maverick sees the return of the classic action-drama about the Navy’s most coveted Fighter Weapons School. Like the Aries, its plot is courageous, high-energy and intense. Like the Capricorn, it depicts a group of persistent, ambitious and over-achieving individuals. These two signs will delight in this Top Gun sequel. The scenes that take place in the skies are unbelievably cool and will get your heart racing like no other. 

Triangle of Sadness

Sagittarius

Triangle of Sadness is the Oscar nominee that most surprised me. NOBODY will predict the turn it takes in its second and third acts. This film is a satirical comedy about a group of wealthy individuals aboard a cruise ship. The spontaneous (and slightly chaotic) Sagittarius will obsess over this film’s unique portrayal of class structure. Triangle of Sadness contains the perfect mixture of humor and passion for any fire sign. 

Women Talking

Taurus, Virgo

Based on the 2018 novel of the same name, Women Talking is very much what its title implies: a group of women, who for years have been unknowingly abused, discuss how to take back agency for themselves. These two earth signs, commonly known for their patient, reliable and tenacious natures, will find the supremely feminist Women Talking inspiring.

I hope this list gives you gals some movie suggestions for this weekend. Definitely watch your sign’s movie tonight (if not several of these options)! Even if you don’t get around to viewing these films, be sure to tune into the Oscars this Sunday at 5 o’clock for some celebrity sightings, drama and a celebration of cinema.

Amelia is a Chicago-native English major. Other than writing articles for Her Campus at UCLA, she enjoys speculative fiction, binging A24 films, and dissecting characters on the Personality Database.