Wellness > Sex + Relationships

What’s Your Love Language? How I Spread Love in Every Aspect of My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Do you know your love language? Maybe you’re like me and you’ve taken the quiz a few too many times. Maybe the only place you’ve heard the phrase is in the Ariana Grande song (one of the best tracks on Positions, I have to say). Just in case you need a refresher, the love languages are the five different ways that people tend to show their love towards others.

Most people only think about their top love language and how it manifests in romantic relationships; but you can’t have love without balance, and love languages aren’t just for romantic love! So whether you’re sending love to your besties, your fam, or your boo, here’s how I see all five love languages show up in my life:

Acts of Service

Acts of service can be tricky to define. The way I see it is showing love through the little things that you do for each other: refilling a water bottle so your loved one doesn’t have to get up off the couch or letting someone else play their favorite music in the car. To me, acts of service means that love doesn’t always have to be flashy. Real love is still there, even in the quiet, everyday moments.

Gift Giving

Gift giving is a super easy way to show your love for the people in your life. How better to show people that you know and love them by getting them something tailored to their tastes? Even though finding the perfect gift can be tough because boys are SO hard to shop for sometimes, nothing beats seeing the look on my loved ones’ faces when they unwrap the gift they’ve been dying for. 

Words of Affirmation

Okay, so words of affirmation are technically my “main” love language — probably because you can’t get me to shut up! This feels pretty self explanatory, but words of affirmation are expressing how much you value someone with your words (duh). I display it through texts to my boyfriend, showering my friends in compliments on their Instagram posts and long handwritten birthday cards. When you’re a talker like I am, it’s an easy way to express your affection.

Physical Touch

Physical touch is again a pretty self explanatory one. I’m sure that the way I experience it in my life is the same way you see it in yours. All of the hugs, kisses, and snuggles we give our loved ones are maybe one of the most obvious ways to show love. Regardless, it doesn’t make them any less special. 

Quality Time

Admittedly, expressing my love through quality time can be tough for me because my social battery runs out FAST. That being said, one of my favorite ways to pass the time is sitting side by side with my mom in total silence and showing each other TikToks every few minutes. Sometimes love isn’t about the grand gestures, but instead about just being able to relax in each other’s presence.

Love looks different for each and every one of us. Hopefully, these examples have reminded you of all the different ways you give and receive love. After all, why would you pick only one way to show love when you could have all five?

Kelly is a second-year Communications major at UCLA from Pasadena, California. During her free time, she can usually be found lost in a book, grabbing a coffee, or obsessing over the latest reality TV show.