Culture > News

What Does the 2022 AAPI Heritage Month Theme Mean?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The month of May was chosen to be AAPI Heritage month because it happens to contain the anniversary of two significant Asian-American historical events. On May 7, 1843, the first Japanese immigrants arrived to the United States, and on May 10, 1869, the transcontinental railroad was completed, which was only possible due to the arduous labor of Chinese workers.

Every year, the Federal Asian Pacific American Council (FAPAC) chooses a theme to guide the attitude with which people should approach AAPI Heritage month. This year, the AAPI month theme is “Advancing Leaders Through Collaboration.” FAPAC announced that this year’s theme would be the start of a new theme series for 2021-2024, all focusing on “advancing leaders.” But what does advancing leaders through collaboration even mean?

A key focus is on the word “collaboration.” This means collaborating across federal agencies to train future leaders but also reduce discrimination on all fronts. Focusing on retaining talent in federal agencies and developing new skilled minds along the way allows for better policymaking in the present and the future.

Establishing an environment of collaboration sets forth the precedent that people of AAPI heritage will not settle for less and that our federal agencies too will not settle for anything less than “enhanced problem solving, communication, and success.”

All of these efforts encourage a culture of transparency, allowing for “openness and trust and fostering diversity and inclusion,” according to FAPAC. One of the most important aspects of diversity is innovation because there is a certain type of creativity that can only occur when a multitude of people from unique backgrounds come together.

Most importantly, the roots of “advancing leaders through collaboration” is an emphasis on change. Change and progress can only happen when you put talented minds in a room together and when you give them all the support they need to bring their ideas into the real world.

This AAPI Heritage month, we are all encouraged to look ahead, think big and talk to one another, all while recognizing the beauty of AAPI culture.

Neeti is a UCLA student who has loved writing ever since she was born, whether that meant composing poetry or writing opinionated articles. She loves learning languages and is currently learning her fifth one. She loves water, hiking, biking, playing with her dog, and listening to music.