Photo of beach
Photo of beach
Original photo by Rebecca Karlous

We Asked 5 UCLA Students What They Are Thankful For In The Year 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I think we can all agree that 2020 has been an eventful year. In being so, I feel as if it’s led us to approach gratitude and Thanksgiving a little differently this year.

I want to remind each of us that we did it. We made it through the year, and despite the challenges we have all individually faced, we’ve either been able to check-in with ourselves more often than usual, spend more precious time with family than we normally do, realign with faith in a season of unforeseen challenges and/or find a voice and ways to virtually help and give to organizations even though miles apart. We did it. I think that with a humble and appreciative heart, that is something to be celebrated. Her Campus at UCLA interviews five UCLA students on who and what they are thankful for wrapping up on the year 2020:

Lauren Kalika

“I’m thankful for my family but also my friends. After a rough year like 2020, you really get to see everyone’s true colors and see who your real friends are. Just by my friends being there for me and having them to talk to or hop on a Facetime call has meant a great deal. In a time where we’re supposed to distance from one another, I’ve discovered that good friends will still find ways to stay in contact.”

Mason Hardy

“I would say that even though 2020 hasn’t been a year from our perspective that’s led itself to gratitude, I’m grateful for the hope that I’m able to have as a Christian in God’s unchanging goodness. Psalm 13 says “I have trusted in God’s lovingkindness; my heart shall rejoice in His salvation. I will sing to the Lord because He has dealt bountifully with me.” This Thanksgiving, I’m thankful above all to have a Savior who’s been kind to me far beyond what I deserve, even in the midst of what seems to be a bleak year.”

Eunice Lee

“I think for most people, especially during these times, I’m thankful that my family and I are safe and healthy. I’m also thankful that I’m still able to hang out with my friends in a safe manner, and it makes life seem just a bit more normal. Even though taking online classes this year isn’t the way we all imagined a part of our college career to be like, I’m very grateful for clubs/organizations that allow me to make new friends and keep me connected to UCLA!”

Arman Sani

“I am most thankful for the good health of my family and close friends. Health can be everything in life, and it’s beyond our control in many ways, so I feel really lucky that the people I love are healthy and well.”

Brooke Sagun

“2020 has taught me to be thankful for the people I have in my life, good health and the little things. I am thankful for my roommate, Eva, for our many iced coffee runs, baking nights and spontaneous Tik Toks. I am thankful for my family and being able to spend more time with them this year than I would have otherwise. Lastly, I am thankful for the little things, from being able to watch the sunset at Will Rodgers, live in an apartment with my best friends, have socially distanced picnics on Janss Steps and take many trips to Trader Joe’s!”

I hope these answers remind us all to not only practice gratitude, but be encouraged to share it and bring light to our conversations with others.

Rebecca (also goes by Bec and Becca) is an English major at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), and an Assistant Editorial Director and writer for HC at UCLA. In her free time, she loves a strong oat milk latte at a local LA coffee shop, catching the sunset at the beach and hunting for the perfect breakfast burrito.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.