87036FE0 7953 4B19 A327 FDC07CA31F61jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
87036FE0 7953 4B19 A327 FDC07CA31F61jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Sofia Gonzalez

UCLA Football’s Jon Gaines Cooks Up His Famous Macaroni & Cheese and Buttermilk Fried Chicken

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Name: Jon Gaines

Year: Sophomore

Major: Political Science

Hometown: Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Jon Gaines is a sophomore offensive lineman on the UCLA Football team. What sets him apart from many is that he takes time out of his busy schedule to make home-cooked meals. Her Campus UCLA gets the rundown on how Gaines makes his famous Mac & Cheese and Buttermilk Fried Chicken and the importance of cooking comfort foods passed down from his family.

Her Campus: Who taught you how to cook? And how has that person made an impact on your life?

Jon Gaines: Geez that’s deep. My paw paw taught my mom how to cook, and she taught my brother and me. Overall, my brother and my father have always been examples of great black men, and my mother’s attention to detail in her cooking has always proven her undying love for our family.

HC: Why is it important for you to carry the cooking tradition you learned from your mom?

JG: Cooking is all about family and being able to provide for those that you love. And that’s really important in the growth of becoming a man and providing for a family one day.

HC: What is the one meal you look forward to having when coming back home to Wisconsin?

JG: My best friend LA makes this fish fry. Catfish and gumbo. Man, oh my God.

HC: What’s your favorite meal to cook for your team?

JG: My teammate Tito is really the chef of the team. He’s a big dessert guy. But when I do cook for the team it’s usually fried chicken.

HC: What does cooking mean to you?

JG: It’s an opportunity to learn something new every time I step into the kitchen and the liberty it gives me.

HC: Overall, how have your first 2 years been at UCLA?

JG: It’s been really fun and having the independence to grow on my own and have a “home away from home” has been really rewarding. I’m thankful.

Mac & Cheese Recipe:

Ingredients:

• 2 cups of milk

• 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 package of cooked penne pasta

Directions:

• Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Heat milk in the microwave.
  • Melt butter over medium heat and gradually add cornstarch while whisking.
  • Gradually whisk in heated milk until the consistency becomes thick.
  • Whisk in seasonings along with the shredded cheese.
  • Put sauce over pasta shortly after.
  • Transfer pasta into a baking dish. Heat in the oven for 20 minutes until golden and crispy.

Buttermilk Chicken Recipe:

Ingredients:

• Chicken wings

• Flour

• Frying oil
  • Buttermilk
  • Red cayenne pepper
  • Onion powder
  • Ground paprika
  • Garlic powder
  • Seasoned salt
  • Red Rooster Hot Sauce

Directions:

• Season chicken with spices and flour.
  • Cover chicken in buttermilk and hot sauce. “Specifically, dip the chicken TWICE.”
  • Fry in oil as per usual.

Thank you to Jon Gaines for taking time to show Her Campus his signature recipes! Be sure to follow Jon @jongaines on Instagram.

Rebecca (also goes by Bec and Becca) is an English major at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), and an Assistant Editorial Director and writer for HC at UCLA. In her free time, she loves a strong oat milk latte at a local LA coffee shop, catching the sunset at the beach and hunting for the perfect breakfast burrito.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.