A Trip Down Memory Lane: Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood and His Lasting Impact on A Generation That Values Inclusion & Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I grew up watching reruns of Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood on my grandma’s chunky 2000s television with the bulging screen. Every morning, with a bowl of cereal in hand, I’d sit in front of that screen and sing along to “Won’t You Be My Neighbor” as he put on his infamous red cardigan before lacing up his sneakers, just as he did in every episode. Viewers of this show will understand the magnitude of this memory, for Mister Rogers managed to touch millions during his time making this program a reality. 

turned off gray CRT TV on table
PJ Gal-Szabo

If you grew up watching Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, chances are that it’s affected you in some way. For me as a child, his show was the framework for my understanding of what unconditional love was and what it should look like. Though it aired from 1968 up until 2001, the themes of the show remained unchanged and timeless. Through the diverse ensemble of real-life characters and puppets, Mister Rogers was able to teach young minds about respect, acceptance and kindness. His time on-screen was spent on interactions between himself and the various people of the community, like the mailman, train conductor and neighbors. By modeling the show around ordinary people and ordinary every-day situations, he teaches us that every moment can be special. The show’s focus on creating a safe space for its young viewers to come and learn from Mister Rogers and his adventures in the neighborhood allowed for a number of important interpersonal skills to be modeled. Emotion regulation, self-esteem, empathy, acceptance and inclusion were among some of the core values taught throughout the show. The young children, initially captivated by nothing more than the lively characters from his show, were always offered a safe space and an important lesson with each episode. His viewers, now all grown up, have had the chance to say that they grew up in the era of Fred Rogers, a man who transformed the way people understood love, kindness and the power of their words and actions. 

father and daughter, family, father, love, people, children, happiness
Photo by Caleb Jones from Unsplash

Mister Rogers understood the impact that public programming can have on young minds, and his work reflected his beliefs about that. His show pioneered the novel idea that television could open doors for education and wellness. Today, as I am about to turn 20 years old, I still find myself incorporating his lessons into my daily life. As a generation of young adults fighting for inclusion and acceptance in this world, his contributions have undoubtedly left a lasting impact on us. 

Shannon Mia Vo is a third-year student at the University of California, Los Angeles. She is majoring in Psychology and minoring in Disability Studies. This is her second year writing for UCLA's chapter of Her Campus, and her first year as Assistant Director of Editorial, so she is excited to learn as she goes. Shannon loves to write and believes that words are an essential catalyst for storytelling, education, advocacy, and expression. When she isn't writing, she can be found crafting, rewatching her favorite sitcoms, working out, or browsing through booktok!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.