Too Much Stuff, Not Enough Space? 4 Tips For Making The Most Out Of Your Triple Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

If you’re an over-packer like myself, I know you’re STRESSING about how you’re going to fit all of your things in a shared triple dorm. Or maybe you’re already in said triple dorm and feeling claustrophobic, drowning in all of your junk. But no matter your situation, I’m here to help. As someone who has lived in two different shoebox-sized triple dorms (both originally only meant for two people), I’ve become extremely skilled at making the most out of small spaces. Here are my four best tips for surviving the year in your triple dorm:

Repurpose Your Shoe Organizer

I know it sounds a little weird, but bear with me here. That shoe organizer that hangs over the side of your door or closet has a MUCH better use than shoes. Those little pockets are valuable space and you don’t want to waste it on one shoe per pocket (not to mention that your dirty frat shoes will be all up in your clothes if you do). Instead, use this as organization for your moisturizers, face wash, lotion, hair products, etc. They’ll be much easier to grab here and will save you valuable time rifling through your shower caddy. Although it doesn’t seem like a big deal, having my micellar water and moisturizer ready on hand has been a game changer this year.

Floor Space Will Be Your Most Valuable Possession

You will quickly realize that in a triple dorm room, your designated floor space will be your most valuable asset. In order to maximize it, opt for taller storage instead of wider. You’d be surprised at how claustrophobic the room will start to feel as floor space is eaten up by your hamper, mini fridge, bags, etc. Finding tall storage bins that can fit in those funky corners will make a world of difference. For reference, I have about a 2-foot by 3.5-foot space in between my bed and the wall where I keep my hamper, our vacuum, my backpack and a storage cart for gym clothes and swimsuits, that I also keep my contraband Nespresso machine on top of (but shhh let’s keep that one between you and me).

Be strategic with the floor space in your closet

Finding ways to organize space within other spaces will be one of the most critical skills you cultivate while living in a triple dorm. For example, there’s lots of untapped potential in spaces like your closet floor. Personally, I have organizers for socks, underwear, sandals and shoe boxes all tucked away inside my closet. This frees up my other drawers for more clothes without everything getting cluttered!

You Don’t Need That Extra Chair

As fun and cute as the fluffy pink ottoman might be, I promise you won’t have space for it (especially if you’re in a classic triple). The few times it gets used are not worth more than the floor space it will occupy and the cluttered feeling it will create. And truthfully, you and your friends will just end up sitting on the floor most of the time anyway! But if you’re still itching for something cute to go on your floor, I suggest a fun area rug!

At UCs and other big schools like UCLA, they really cram us into those dorms. (And let’s not even get into the lack of air conditioning in most of them). I know it can feel claustrophobic and overwhelming to condense your entire life into such a small space, but with the right strategy, I promise it’s not as bad as it seems! Plus, it’s all a part of the college experience!

Ciara is a third year UCLA student from Oakland, CA who is majoring in Public Health. She loves to travel and explore new places; especially when there's any kind of ocean involved. When she's not busy workshopping her next Her Campus article, you can find Ciara sipping her morning coffee somewhere sunny, relaxing in her hammock, or chasing a sunset.