The Time To Start Your New Year’s Resolutions Is Now: “Before 2019 Ends, I Will…”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Before we know it, we only have a couple weeks until 2019 ends and 2020 begins. So, during this last month of 2019, December is the perfect time to start your New Year’s resolution, and here are some ideas that you could use as part of your list: 

“Before 2019 ends, I will go to the gym.” At the beginning of 2019, many people vowed that we were going to eat healthy and would go to the gym every day. Although we started off strong, we eventually stopped our progress because our lives just got too busy. However, before 2019 ends, we can make the most of our last month by trying to go to the gym more often and eating more healthy foods. Of course, the holiday season means that there will be lots of good foods to indulge in, so starting off your New Year’s resolution early by going to the gym may just be the right balance for all of that food.  “Before 2019 ends, I will learn to cook.” Not all of us are master chefs, but it is nice to have a dish that you can always cook from memory. For the time left until the end of the year, you can try to cook new recipes and see which is your favorite. It can be something as easy as an appetizer or something more difficult like a whole entrée. Cooking is fun, and it gives you a sense of accomplishment when you take the first bite after completing your dish. Perhaps this resolution may even spark a passion for cooking that you might not have known you had. 

“Before 2019 ends, I will read a book.” As we pass by the school years, we do less reading for leisure and only read when it is required for class. Many of us probably have not touched a book that we actually wanted to read in years. That’s why this is the right time to start reading a book that interests you before the year ends. Maybe go to the library, and try to search for books that seem to have interesting plots. Or, you can go online and look for books as well. There are many books that we have not read yet, and they are just waiting for us to find them. 

“Before 2019 ends, I will make a new friend.” We have established our friend groups and have joined different clubs and organizations. However, this does not mean that you cannot meet new people and make new friends. There are still people in your clubs and organizations that you have not talked to or gotten close to, and this last month is your opportunity to reach out to them. Greet them, try to have a conversation with them, make plans to study or ask if they would like to have lunch with you one of these days. By doing so, you might make a new best friend. 

“Before 2019 ends, I will show my family and friends how much I appreciate them.” Because we see our friends and family so often, it is easy to just take them and their presence for granted. However, this holiday season is meant to be celebrated with your loved ones, and you can show them how much they mean to you. You do not have to write an elaborate speech, but you should make sure that they know how much you love them. Having friends and family to support you is what motivates you to do your best, and showing them that you care is a great way to let them know that they are important to you.

Your New Year’s resolution does not have to be a long list; it can be short and simple. In fact, making fewer goals that you can reach by the end of this year may be even more valuable than making goals that seem impossible or too extreme. A New Year’s resolution is meant to guide you, and it is okay if you do not finish the entire list. However, accomplishing at least one of your goals will make the end of 2019 feel all the more worthwhile. Your New Year’s resolution is unique to you, and it is a good way to say good bye to 2019 while welcoming in 2020.

Jamie Vu

UCLA '23

Jamie is a second year student at UCLA. She loves to listen to music and enjoys going to concerts and listening to artists live. During her free time, she likes to go out and explore.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.