5 Tips On How To Build Better Bonds With Your Siblings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Is anyone having a hard time getting along with their siblings? This is a major issue for me. No matter what I do, it feels like my little sister and I will never get along! Of course, half of this has to do with how we are eight years apart. She is at the age where she thinks she is a grown-up because she’s as tall as me (she’ll definitely be taller than me). But to me, she is just a little girl who should be enjoying her childhood rather than trying to grow up. It’s hard for us to communicate with one another. However, I do recognize that I don’t make enough time for her, and I could definitely work on this. I think many of us in college might share this issue because we’re at a time when we are growing and finding new passions, so we place everything else on hold. But our siblings are growing up and we’re missing out! That is why I want to provide five tips on what we can do to build better bonds with our siblings:

Go Out To Eat

I think this is the best way to build a relationship with siblings. I mean, who doesn’t love to go eat their favorite food and just talk about their day? Taking your sibling(s) out to eat at least once every few weeks can help build a better bond. It can be a fancy restaurant or just a quick fast-food stop! But what matters is that you spend time and catch up on what’s going on in each other’s lives. It can be hard at first, but eventually, they’ll look forward to these hangouts. 

Mini Golf

If you and your sibling are competitive then I suggest trying out a friendly game of mini-golf. Every time I go with my sister. we make a bet that whoever loses has to buy Starbucks or boba! It usually motivates us to take the game seriously, which sometimes results in one of us being annoyed. But, no matter what, you get to be active outdoors taking in the hot sun while building a bond with your siblings. It’s a fun hangout as long as there are no hard feelings. 

Watch A Show Together

Being able to talk to someone about a show you love is another way to bond. This is a great method to start conversations, it just makes it so much easier because you guys get to discuss the episodes and say what you liked, didn’t like and much more! I started watching Fox’s 911 TV show with her because she suggested it. At first, I found it boring, but then it got better and we were able to talk about it. So, every time there was a new episode I’d let her know so we could watch it together. It’s just a matter of making time to watch a movie or show with your sibling.

Match

I have not tried this one, but I have always thought about how cute it is for siblings to be matching. Of course not entirely match as you see in the picture, but you could do that if that’s something your sibling and you are interested! I think having matching sweaters, shoes, or shirts is a great way to bond. This is an especially good method to keep in mind when thinking about gift-giving during the holidays!

AMusement Parks

Sometimes what we all need is to feel the adrenaline rush through our veins. And who better than our siblings to share this feeling? Having a fun day of excitement can be a great way to build a safe relationship with them. Amusement park trips are a sure way to establish those life-long memories that you can cherish together.

I hope these tips help you build a better relationship with your sibling(s). I will definitely try harder to spend more time with my little sister because time flies by and soon she’ll be all grown up. Don’t forget to show your siblings love and support because small things matter! Happy bonding!

Maria Alfaro is a fourth year student at UCLA majoring in Sociology and minoring in Spanish. She joined HerCampus at UCLA in 2021 and ever since has been able to do what she enjoys; write and share her stories with everyone. Her love for journalism grows with each story she gets to write. She loves to meet new people and learn new things. In her free time you can find her exploring the city of LA, dancing, binge-watching, blogging or relaxing.