Sonny Angels: My Newest, Tiniest And Cutest Obsession

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

If your social media algorithms are anything like mine, you may be seeing these tiny angel baby figurines popping up here and there. Though, despite their childlike aesthetics, you will most often see them in the hands of twenty-something-year-old women. So, what are these little guys? Are they children’s toys that have been hijacked by Gen Z? Not quite. 

Allow me to introduce you to Sonny Angels, the pocket-sized cherubs that have taken the internet by storm. Standing at 3 inches tall, these figurines come wearing a variety of headgear, resembling everything from animals to fruit. They are sold in a blind box format, meaning you don’t know which one you will get until you open the box. 

You may still be wondering why the primary consumer base of these figures isn’t toddlers but grown adults. I was confused by the hype as well until I found out that the target audience is in fact women in their 20s. Creator Toru Soeya said he created Sonny Angels as a source of comfort for young working women. Life can be tough in your twenties, often feeling stuck somewhere between childhood and adulthood. These dolls are intended to provide a sort of simple joy and “sense of healing” as we navigate everyday stress. 

They are actually nothing new, originating in Japan in 2005. However, they’ve experienced a recent soar in popularity. #Sonnyangel currently has 134.5 million views with users showcasing their collections and unboxings. Even Bella Hadid has bought into the craze, featuring her huge shelf of figurines in an Instagram post. 

As for my take on the trend, I think it’s pretty cute and fun. There is something nice about tapping into your inner child for a minute and opening one of these blind boxes. I currently own two, a snake version and a watermelon version, that sit on my shelf. Could there be more in my future? Possibly. Do I think I’ll ever reach the extent of the serious collectors who seek out the rarest varieties? Probably not (though no judgment to those who do!).  

Juggling the stressors of school, work and life as young women isn’t easy. If having “a little treat” like a Sonny Angel or something else makes the days just a little bit easier, I’m here for it. Even if something seems silly at face value, we owe it to ourselves to be a little unserious sometimes. 

Lily is a third year Political Science major at UCLA from Sarasota, FL. In her free time, she loves binge-watching sitcoms, listening to music, and finding new coffee shops.