Style > Fashion

6 Clothing Items Every Freshman Needs (And Some You Will Never Wear)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Before leaving for college, I watched every single TikTok about what I would need. These lists often included a Brita (which my roommates and I stopped using in Week 2), an umbrella (which I refused to bring to SoCal and sometimes regret) and a shower caddy (which, honestly, you do need, but I think that is a no brainer). No one told me about the clothing necessities that would have been a lot easier to buy at home than as a broke college student. So, I am taking up that responsibility now to tell you six clothing articles every freshman needs, and some that you absolutely do not: 

A leather jacket / going out jacket

No matter where you go to school, it will sometimes be cold when you go out. You still want to wear that little dress or that tiny top, so grab a leather jacket to comfortably dress how you want to. I literally got mine for $20 at the Melrose Trading Post, so it doesn’t have to be anything fancy, just something to keep you warm on your nights out. 

princess polly leather jacket
Photo via Princess Polly
Doc Martens or similar shoes

Everyone talks about the Frat shoes, but no one talks about the clubbing/slightly nicer going-out shoes. Fortunately, I brought my black Doc Martens to school. Unfortunately, they also doubled as my rain shoes and completely fell apart after a heavy rain storm. If you need some guidance on which shoes to try out, here are some black booties and some with heels if you are feeling fancy. Or, you could always just bring those trusty Doc Martens you already own. However, don’t double them as your rain shoes, which leads me to number three…

asos platform boots
Photo via ASOS
RAIN GEAR

You need this no matter where you go! I thought since I was going to literal UCLA, I would not need my rain gear. This was a mistake. It does rain. Furthermore, when it rains we have no drainage system here. So get a crappy pair of boots or rain shoes that will keep your toes nice and dry. Cave and bring that umbrella, I promise it doesn’t matter that you think you will look stupid. Rain shoes, umbrella and rain jacket. Also, maybe a rain jacket to wrap around your backpack so it doesn’t soak through and ruin all of your notes. 

JEANS of all colors and fits

You will wear jeans every single time you go out. These jeans will get ruined. I would say four pairs of jeans minimum will get you through freshman year. Include one nice pair of jeans (for when your friends’ parents bring you out to dinner during visits). Avoid white jeans at all costs, or the Sig Ep tables will leave them completely black on the backside. 

A black dress and a white dress

If you join a sorority, or if your friends join a sorority, you will need to wear a black dress at least ten times in the first six months of college. It doesn’t matter which sorority you are in, the first date party is going to be black dress and white dress themed, depending on if you are a pledge or an active member. Even if you are just going with a friend who is in the sorority, you will have to dress to this theme. Also, for every single pinning that occurs you will have to wear a black dress, so definitely own at least one, if not two. 

A robe

I didn’t have a robe during my first quarter because I was like, “It’s not that big of a deal! I’ll just wrap my towel around myself!” and that’s cool, it worked. But, now that I got a robe, I am obsessed with it. It’s a pink robe with bunny ears, and after my showers, I literally lounge around in it for hours. It’s so fuzzy and warm and sometimes you just need to watch New Girl while eating orange chicken in your bed after your shower! 

Now here are a few things that will take up space in your closet, don’t even include them on your packing list:

1. Nice outfits

Have one or two, you don’t need more than that.

1. Sundresses 

I brought like ten dresses and have only worn like three (including my black and white ones).

1. Five million t-shirts and hoodies

Take the amount you’re thinking of bringing and cut that in half. I wear the same UCLA sweatshirt and UCLA sweatpants to class at least twice a week. 

1. More than one pair of heels

To be honest I don’t even own a pair of heels, I just borrow a pair from friends whenever I need one. But, that being said, I have only really needed heels twice in my experience being here, so I haven’t even been tempted to buy a pair. 

Take my advice and adjust your packing and shopping lists accordingly. In reality, I cycle through the same few clothing items every couple of weeks, so I think the moral of the story is less is more for your college closet. There is only so much my Hedrick dresser can fit, so it is vital to stick to the basics!

Katy is a first year communications major at UCLA originally from Pennsylvania! She enjoys baking, Taylor Swift, and lifting :)