Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Serious Question: IS Being Single Better Than Being IN A Relationship?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

As we all know, the weather is changing, which means we are officially in cuffing season! It’s that time of year when singles start looking for a special someone who they can cuddle with to stay warm during the winter. Although the idea sounds nice, how many people actually enjoy being cuffed? The question we should be asking is if being in a relationship is actually better than being single. 

I asked some people for their take of this question, and let me tell you, many said they think the single life is better. This is not only coming from people who are single, but also from people who are currently taken as well. Everyone had similar answers, but the main reason as to why single life is better is because you get to focus on yourself without someone constantly needing your attention. Most of the interviewees agreed that it might be expected of them to be with their partner all the time. While they might feel immense love towards their partner, they do not want to be spending their entire time with someone else. They emphasized their need for freedom and the ability to hang out with others without their partners getting mad. According to them, it can at times be draining to be in a relationship because not only are you restricted to doing certain things, you also have to always think about your significant other. As one of the interviewees said, “Will they be okay with me doing this ?” There are certain things that you can no longer do because it might hurt your partner. It’s all very complicated. So the interviewees chose the single life because it’s a way to grow and be stress free. 

hawaii girl happy explore jacket beach adventure
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

If you disagree with them, then you might agree with the few who said being in a relationship is better. According to them, having a significant other who they can share special moments with is beautiful. The way they see it is if a relationship is healthy, then both partners should be able to respect each other’s space when needed. This allows both to grow individually while still staying together. While it might come with moments of stress, they are more happy with a companion by their side. Relationships don’t have to be seen in a negative way; they can be worked on. It’s just a matter of how people approach being a couple.

If you are undecided on which one is better, don’t worry, there are others in the same boat. There were a few who said it depended on the relationship. They agreed that having someone they could express their love to was great, but that sometimes it was also nice to be alone. They may or may not be looking for a long term relationship. For them, it’s about living in the moment and letting things happen the way they are meant to. They want the best of both worlds as Hannah Montana once sang in her song.

At the end of the day, whether you’re in a relationship or not, what matters is you are happy with your life. Don’t think that just because others are in a relationship, they are automatically happy. Things aren’t always what they seem. It takes a lot of patience and forgiveness to stick with a relationships. If happiness is what you are looking for, remember that it comes from you and your love towards yourself. In order to love someone, you have to be able to love yourself. You will find a partner when the time is right. Don’t rush or force something to be; let it happen naturally. Best of wishes my friends!

Maria Alfaro is a fourth year student at UCLA majoring in Sociology and minoring in Spanish. She joined HerCampus at UCLA in 2021 and ever since has been able to do what she enjoys; write and share her stories with everyone. Her love for journalism grows with each story she gets to write. She loves to meet new people and learn new things. In her free time you can find her exploring the city of LA, dancing, binge-watching, blogging or relaxing.