albumtempJPG?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
albumtempJPG?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Katherine Pappas

Seeing My Favorite Girl Bosses At The “Bombshell” Movie Premiere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

As stars sweep the red carpet, lights glimmer in the eyes of adoring fans and the theater is filled with eager fans and starlets, it is clear that a special night is in store for all. This past December, I had the incredible opportunity to attend the Bombshell movie premiere right in Westwood!

Being a student at UCLA offers so many unparalleled opportunities and perks. Along with the vast network of clubs, organizations, events, jobs and internships, I have gained access to so many opportunities that otherwise, would have been unknown to and untouched by me. Let me tell you about my experience with three girl bosses in the film industry: Charlize Theron, Margot Robbie and Nicole Kidman!

Bombshell is one of the must-see films of 2019. It is a film that emphasizes and advocates for the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements that have been circulating throughout popular culture and bringing light upon the much-needed issue of sexual harassment in the workplace. Bombshell, also produced by one of the stars of the film Charlize Theron, focuses on the real-life scandal between Roger Ailes, head of Fox News, and the many women that worked at Fox who were treated inappropriately, to say the least. Fox, being the primary televised source of conservative news, was run by Roger, with all of the Fox staff looking up to him for his determination and powerful business tactics. Although, these people who looked up at him often did so out of uncertainty, power hunger or fear. The stories of three women employed at Fox are told: Megyn Kelly, played by Charlize Theron, Gretchen Carlson, played by Nicole Kidman and Kayla Popisil, played by Margot Robbie.

The premise of the film is a sexual harassment lawsuit filed by Gretchen Carlson against Fox News founder Roger Ailes. This decision incited a movement that reverberated around the world. As this scandal was released at Fox, Fox News correspondent Megyn Kelly came forward with her own story, as well as multiple other women. This acted as a catalyst for other women in any and all professions to take a stand against sexual harassment in the workplace.    

This tale of empowerment is one of many in the wake of the #MeToo movement, but it is one that should act as a story for all women to know their worth and never settle for less. Charlize Theron introduced this thought-provoking and powerful film at its premiere, and her words resounded so strongly with everything I believe to be true and necessary, especially in this political environment. We need to take action in the world to pursue and correct so many of the wrongs. She spoke of how honored she was to be able to produce and tell the story of such powerful women in our society today – women who are able to stand with strength, dignity and confidence as they chose to advocate for their own self-worth.      

As Maya Angelou stated, “Each time a woman stands up for herself, without knowing it possibly, without claiming it, she stands up for all other women.” Let this film inspire all women, young or old, regardless of color or background, to know their worth and fight for it. Who knows? You may just pave the way for the next generation. 

Katherine Pappas is a third-year Political Science and Philosophy double major from the Bay Area. During her free time she loves to go on hikes, adventures with her friends, travel the globe and find the cutest coffee shops around campus! In the future, Katherine is planning on going to law school and becoming an attorney specializing in human rights, M&A or international law.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.