Relay For Life at UCLA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Saturday, April 6, marked the first day of the 11th Annual Relay For Life here at UCLA. This event, hosted by the American Cancer Society, is extremely popular nationwide, especially among the Bruins. Usually held at Drake Stadium, Relay For Life is a 24 hour event that brings together people and spreads the awareness of cancer. There are many activities at this event besides walking around the track from 2 P.M Saturday to 2 P.M Sunday, April 27. Activities like a “silent rave,” Quidditch, and various sports were held to entertain those walking. This year, performers such as Harry Hudson and Courtney Randall serenaded the crowd at Drake Stadium. Participants registered by donating an amount desired and recieved wristbands at the door. Many companies supported this event by donating food and supplies. Overall, Relay For Life is supported by many; the message that it spreads and the funds raised go towards cancer awareness and research. 

The 11th annual Relay For Life at UCLA attracted 124 teams, comprised of students, faculty, and others alike, and have raised over $90,000 so far. Many Bruins, such as Greek Life, various clubs, sports teams, united under this one cause, which was to beat cancer and support those who are currently suffering through it. During every Relay for Life event, luminarias, which are votive candles in paper bags, are lit to remember those who have passed away from cancer or those suffering from cancer presently. This event attracts thousands of UCLA students and other participants every year, with numbers growing each year. 

From Mississippi to California! Freshman at UCLA :) Class of 2017! Go Bruins! Writer at Her Campus UCLA, member of Tri Delta!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.