Put Down the Ramen and No One Gets Hurt: How to cook tasty snacks and desserts in your dorm room!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I miss my kitchen. If I had to pick one thing that I really, really miss about home, it would definitely be the fully stocked fridge and pantry, oven, stovetop… and especially the toaster. It tortures me that I can’t whip up a grilled cheese at 2am or bake a cake for a friend’s birthday. Unfortunately, there is no kitchen in my tiny dorm room (or anywhere on the Hill, for that matter), so I have to get pretty creative with what I have (which is essentially a microwave and a mini-fridge). But don’t fear, fellow foodies! I’ve compiled a few recipes you can make with the most limited of resources. (And while I in no way endorse stealing from DeNeve… you can avoid having to buy huge amounts of these ingredients by grabbing a few sugar or salt packets or a few slices of bread on your way out of the dining hall).

1. Spicy Cinnamon-Sugar Popcorn: A combination of sweet and savory, microwave popcorn is elevated with cinnamon, sugar, and spices to create the perfect late-night snack.
4 tsp. granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. table salt
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 tbsp. hot chile oil, such as KA-me

In a small bowl, stir together sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside. Using an air popper, pop corn kernels into a large bowl. (Or just use regular microwave popcorn.) While corn pops, combine butter and chile oil into a small bowl; stir well. As the large bowl begins to fill, alternately drizzle oil mixture over popcorn and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar, occasionally tossing to coat. When popcorn stops popping, use your hands to toss everything together and ensure ingredients are evenly distributed. Serve immediately.

2. French Toast Sandwiches with Marmalade: For this one, you’ll need a sandwich/panini press (which, luckily, will fit nicely in one of your desk drawers).
1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
2 tsp. orange marmalade
4 slices bread (such as sweet batarde, brioche, or Wonder Bread)
1 large egg
2 tbsp. Whole milk
Maple syrup, to taste
Cinnamon, to taste

Heat a sandwich press to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese and orange marmalade until well incorporated. For each sandwich, spread 2 tbsp. Of the mixture on a slice of bread and top with a plain slice; press firmly. Beat egg and milk together in a shallow bowl until well blended. Dip both sides of each sandwich into milk mixture briefly (and let excess drip off), then place on the press. Close the lid and cook about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer French toast to plates. Top with maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon, and serve immediately.

3. Late-Night Asian Noodles: Just as easy as making Cup o’ Noodles, but with a definite flavor upgrade. Buy the precut coleslaw vegetable packs that are sold (without dressing) in the produce section of most supermarkets.
4 cups boiling water
2 (3-oz) packages ramen noodles (without seasoning packets)
2 cups prepared coleslaw (vegetables only)
3 tbsp. crunchy peanut butter
4 tsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tbsp. chile-garlic paste (such as Huy Fong)

Place ramen noodles in a mixing bowl and pour boiling water (heat it by passing it through your automatic drip coffeemaker or heating it in the microwave) over noodles; let sit 2 minutes. Once noodles have soaked, pour off all but 1/2 cup of water and add remaining ingredients. Toss together until noodles and coleslaw are well coated in peanut butter and chile-garlic paste. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve.

4. 1-2-3 Microwave Mug Cake: It’s midnight and you have a killer craving for chocolate cake… luckily, all you need is a mug and a few ingredients from your mini-fridge to make this decadent soufflé-like dessert.
3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
2-3 tbsp. sugar (according to desired sweetness)
1 tbsp. flour
3 tbsp. milk
3 tbsp. vegetable oil, such as canola
3 tbsp. egg white or plain Egg Whites in a carton
1/4 tsp. vanilla
Optional: 1 tsp. chocolate chips

In a 1-1 1/2 cup microwave safe mug, blend cocoa, sugar, and flour together. Add milk, oil, egg white, and vanilla. Stir vigorously for 2 minutes. Check to make sure it is cooked on the bottom by lifting it a little with a spoon. If it is runny, cook 10 seconds more at a time until done. Do not overcook, as it will be rubbery. It puffs up and may overflow, but that is okay—it deflates somewhat as it cools. You want the texture to be moist and slightly undercooked. Let cool until just warm and serve with whipped cream squirted fresh from the can. Serves one.

Sources:
http://www.chow.com/food-news/54073/college-cooks-gone-wild/
http://www.2stews.com/2009/05/1-2-3-chocolate-microwave-mug-cake.html

Pictures:
http://oneordinaryday.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/cinnamon-popcorn.jpg?w…
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7gdjatC9dOY/SwxP7elysII/AAAAAAAABps/pCp35NRjmm…

Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.