Profile: UCLA HOOLIGAN Theatre’s “Cabaret” Director Parker Whitlow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Parker Whitlow, a junior and Directing major at UCLA, is this year’s director of HOOLIGAN Theatre Company’s fall musical “Cabaret.” HOOLIGAN is UCLA’s only student-run theater company, designed for theater lovers of all levels of skill and experience. Working days and nights for the past seven weeks, Whitlow and her creative team, cast and crew have assembled an incredible show that will run this Friday and Saturday (Nov. 17 to 18) in our very own Schoenberg Hall. As rehearsals were wrapping up, I chatted with Whitlow about some of her thoughts on the directing process and why people should come out to see “Cabaret” this weekend.

Her Campus: What inspired you to get involved with HOOLIGAN?

Parker Whitlow: I think student-run theater is super awesome, and I wanted to collaborate with the talented and dedicated people that are involved with HOOLIGAN. 

HC: What made you want to direct “Cabaret” specifically?

PW: “Cabaret” is one of my all-time favorite shows, and I think it is particularly relevant within our political climate today. I wanted to be the one to bring this important message to our campus, encouraging students to speak up when they see injustice take place.

HC: What has been your favorite part so far about the whole process?

PW: I love working with the actors in smaller groups because it gives us time to discover new moments by really breaking down the text. I have seen them grow so much since we started rehearsing and I am so proud of what we are putting on stage.

HC: For those who are less familiar with the show, how would you describe it in a sentence?

PW: “Cabaret” is a story about the rise of the Nazi regime in Germany, told through the magical world of the “Kit Kat Klub” and focused around a group of individuals who each represent different political stances.

HC: If you could give one piece of advice to a fellow director, what would it be?

PW: I would recommend seeing as much theater as you can: observing the work of other directors helps you find your style and inspires you to “steal like an artist.” 

HC: What advice would you give someone who might want to audition for a future HOOLIGAN show?

PW: I would encourage them to do it! HOOLIGAN is incredibly welcoming, and working on a show is an exciting process as well as a growing experience. 

HC: What is your favorite line or lyric from the show?

PW: “Suppose you’re one frightened voice being told what the choice must be. What would you do, if you were me?” -Fraulein Schneider 

Tickets to the show can still be claimed at the UCLA Central Ticket Office (free with a student ID) or purchased on Ticket Master. For more info, visit HOOLIGAN Theatre here.

Photos courtesy of Parker Whitlow and HOOLIGAN Theatre Company.

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.