Profile: Samuel Donner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

This week we got to sit down with first year computer science major Samuel Donner! Born in Hollywood and raised in Calabasas, Sam may seem like your typical Southern California surfer boy, but in his own words he is, “so layered…a sophisticated modern man. I don’t know if simple words can quite define who I am as a person.” We might not ever be able to fully understand a character such as Sam, but we can sure try!

What interests you about computer science?

It opens windows of opportunities that otherwise wouldn’t be there. It allows me to create things in the vision that I see fit.

What first got you interested in the field of computer science?

I started designing websites before I was ten. One of the first websites that I created was hobojoecomics.com and that was the initial spark of actual design and practice that I experimented with. From there I started making short films and my love for design has just escalated from there. It has led me to programing and now I’m hired by a company to make websites for major studios. I like to think I am a creative before anything else.

How do you see this love of design fitting into your future?

I want to be someone who creates something and tries to benefit the world in a positive way. It might be cheesy but its true. I don’t think philanthropy and business have to be mutually exclusive. 

Sharni is a first-year Art major with a focus on photography and a love for everything the So-Cal lifestyle has to offer. Her hobbies include playing tennis, exploring, and spending time with her Kappa Kappa Gamma sisters.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.