This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Taylor Swift, a pop icon, singer, and songwriter whose relatable music about womanhood and relationships has made her a cultural phenomenon and a voice for a generation. Coming off of her groundbreaking (literally) Eras Tour, according to a survey conducted by the Morning Consult, in the US, 53% of adults are Taylor Swift fans (more than half of the population!), with 44% identifying as Swifties.

All this to say, Taylor Swift’s impact is inescapable and I am no exception. While I may not have attended the Eras Tour, I loved the 1989 album growing up and remember spending many a night watching her performances at award shows or late-night television. Today, many of my friends are self-proclaimed Swifties and I look forward to hearing their reviews of the latest Taylor’s Version tracks or listening to the occasional Taylor Swift song as it resurfaces on my Spotify recommended.

I wouldn’t say I am a Swiftie. This is not to say that I’m anti-Taylor Swift by any means. In the midst of this cultural phenomenon, I find myself in a rare neutral position. This gives me some unique insight into the various critiques and compliments of Swift while resisting the familiar misogyny that is too often pervasive in critiques of Swift’s music and celebrityhood.

Artistry-wise, I truly believe Taylor Swift has made a positive impact, particularly on young women today. Her music is a safe space for expressing emotions and celebrating womanhood. This sense of security then extends to her diverse fan base, encouraging fans from all over the world to connect and build community. 

Through her music, Swift also promotes important ideals such as personal empowerment, discovery, and growth. Her lyrics inspire listeners to take control of their lives and strive for positive change. Furthermore, Swift’s rise to fame embodies the quintessential American Dream. Her ascent in the face of many challenges underscores her status as a self-made superstar, making her an inspiration for countless young people.

Despite her relatability and social impact, Taylor Swift remains a super-charged economic force in a way that is often downplayed by her fans. Consider, for example, the ongoing economic impact of the Eras Tour and how much Swift has financially benefited from such ventures.

For me, the whole thing relates to the ethical implications of billionaires and the broader implications of financial success on social dynamics and economic disparities. Additionally, Swift has faced criticism for her carbon footprint and alignment with less savory public figures. However, she has not been held truly accountable for any of these actions despite having been faced with many shallow judgments throughout her career.

The question for me then becomes about how to reconcile the entire personhood of Taylor Swift. How can fans and critics alike acknowledge her harmful actions as an element of improving the overall Taylor Swift experience for all people? At the end of the day, we all deserve to be held accountable for our actions, even pop icons. And enjoying Taylor Swift can continue to grow into an amazing positive experience for all aspects of her celebrity. As a fan of Swift and a friend of many Swifties, I truly believe that is the artist we all deserve to look up to.

Amanda is a third-year student at UCLA studying Theater and English. Originally from San Francisco, she is passionate about creating and sharing women-led stories and the power of artistic mediums as a form of activism. In her free time, Amanda loves to crochet, read YA novels, and watch sitcoms.