Life > Experiences

Patagonia’s Sustainable Food: Patagonia Provisions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Most people know Patagonia for their well-made clothing and their outdoorsy branding, but most people aren’t aware of Patagonia Provisions. Patagonia Provisions is a part of Patagonia that still focuses on their overall message of sustainability and saving our home all the while selling food. There are many options to choose from, and they are all hiking/camping friendly! As this company and their message are very close to my heart, I wanted to share their new products and recipes that are delicious, nutritious and help with your carbon footprint.

Full disclosure, I do work for Patagonia but not in the food department, and this is my honest review!

girl travel colorado hiking peace trees mountains
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

Canned Fish– let’s talk about it. It seems like it might not be the most appetizing if it’s not something you’ve tried before, but trust me, the Spanish Paprika Mackerel is so good. I hesitantly tried it straight out of the can, and I genuinely thought it was delicious. Their recipe online for the Smoked Mackerel is super creative and recommends that you use it in Beet-Pickled Deviled Eggs, which I defiantly want to try. Canned fish isn’t the only fish they supply; they also have a variety of Wild Pink Salmon. These can be used for anything, including lox on your bagels with cream cheese. My favorite part of these proteins isn’t just that they have lots of omega three, it’s that they can easily be taken camping or hiking and require no cooking at all.

Colorado travel hiking mountains trees nature backpack trail high
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

If you have a sweet tooth like me but want a great natural alternative to sugar, Organic Moloka’i Honey is your solution. The honey comes with a little slip that tells you where the honey came from and teaches you about bees. It tastes great in coffee, with banana chips or in your oatmeal in the morning. I am an avid honey and agave enthusiast but have not tried this type of flavor before. Definitely a must try for anyone who enjoys honey!

Their Buffalo Sausage and Buffalo Jerky are great snacks that have seasonings that are different from other brands. The seasonings are all organic and the casing is also natural, which is a great way to keep up with sustainability. It makes it easy to see where the flavor comes from when using their seasoning packets, such as their Taco Seasoning and Chimichurri Spice Blend. I recently tried the Taco Seasoning with ground turkey and made tacos which were incredibly delicious. The flavor was rich given everything was organic and dried with no preservatives.

Patagonia is more than a company. It promotes a lifestyle that cares about people and where we live. The addition of provisions seems like a natural step in their process of allowing people to reconnect with nature and care about where our food comes from. Their ability to continuously promote sustainability and have unique products that come from good sources is admirable, and I encourage you to support them. If you’re interested in their overall message, check out Yvon Chouinard’s recent message on Earth being Patagonia’s number one shareholder.

Kailey is an English major at UCLA and has her sights set on writing pieces that connect people to nature. Her main goal in her articles is to inspire people to be authentic and chase their passion.