Over 1,000 Injured as a…Meteor? Hits Earth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

You’ve seen the news stories about a bridge collapsing, a plane collision, or even a drastic fire or hurricane. But this week, a 10-ton meteor is the cause of widespread news articles and panic heard all around the world.

On Friday, February 15, a meteor streaked across the sky and exploded over Russia. Initially, people saw a bright flash of light across the sky, but moments later, the damage was done. Due to its hypersonic speed (of at least 33,000 mph!) and its enormous size (10 tons and 49 feet wide), the meteor exploded with the power of an atomic bomb.

The tremendous amount of energy that was emitted due to its size and speed caused a shock wave to progress all throughout Russia, blasting through windows, doors, and all other glass structures around the country. At schools, students rushed outside to see what the flash of light and sound was going on, only to be faced with glass flying into their faces and bodies. Athletes at a sports arena were covered in glass shards that exploded from huge windows around the arena. There were reports that many Russians thought the world was even ending.

Here is a video of the meteor..from it’s initial moments to the shattering glass as a result of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b7mLUIDGqmw#!

Hoping nothing like this happens in America! 

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.