The Next Salvador Dalí? Amanda Feinberg, Artist on the Rise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Don’t be surprised if Amanda Feinberg’s artwork looks familiar. “If my paintings remind people of their dreams or hallucinations, then I’ve done my job correctly,” the first-year Fine Arts Major says of her work, which she defines as “surrealistic.” After the recent launch of her website (www.amandafeinberg.com), we asked Amanda about her inspiration, the life of a UCLA art student, and how people react to her creative vision. (You can also buy Amanda’s work from her website as a chic décor item for your dorm room!)

Her Campus: Tell us about how you became an artist. When did you start drawing, painting, and sculpting? Was there a moment when you realized you wanted to be an artist?
Amanda Feinberg: It was an empty feeling that swayed me toward becoming an artist. Questions involving my role and significance in the world began to consume my thoughts towards the beginning of my junior year. My parents had just gone through a divorce and I was left feeling vulnerable. I began to center my energy towards art, embracing the different techniques and mindset that the new world required. Art became an outlet for stress and a way to release harbored emotions. As time went on, I realized that I had a hidden talent in this therapeutic activity. To this day, art is a healthy coping skill that has brought me an identity and self-confidence.

HC: You describe your artistic style as “surreal.” What is the inspiration for your work?
AF: As a Surrealist my goal is to take the everyday form and create a playground filled with my dreams. I usually do not plan out my pieces; I like the thrill of the unknown and enjoy drawing in an unconventional style. I am a kid at heart, and through surrealism I am able base my actions on whatever narratives my imagination creates.

HC: Your work is dark—how do people respond to that? Do you feel like people connect to your work in surprising ways?
AF: Some people perceive my work as dark. Since art is a coping skill, my portfolio showcases different stages of my life. As a teenage girl, we all can relate, life is full of ups and downs. I chose to translate my emotions into drawings whether in an optimistic or sad state.

HC: What is the best and worst part about being an art student at UCLA?
AF: The best part about being an art student at UCLA is being able to wake up and know I get to do arts and crafts everyday. The worst part is living on the hill and having to survive the walk down to deep north campus.

HC: What is your goal for the future—do you want to have your own gallery, etc.? Do you currently sell your work?
AF: Dream goal is to work for Disney and turn my house into a gallery. I currently sell my work as posters for dorm rooms.

Check out Amanda’s website to find out more about her creations and to buy products: amandafeinberg.com

Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.