2022 Billboard Women in Music Awards — The Future of the Music Industry Is Undeniably Female

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Last night, Billboard honored some of the biggest female artists in the industry at the 2022 Billboard Women in Music Awards. Hosted by Ciara at Hollywood Park’s YouTube Theater, the event spotlighted “Music Icons” and “Power Players” with a collection of non-traditionally named awards such as “Game Changer” and “Trailblazer.” Chart-toppers and industry risers united in celebration of female artists from a diverse range of music genres. In an industry where male artists and executives once called the shots, last night showed female artists hold increasingly more power. 

In news that will surprise no one, pop princess Olivia Rodrigo was presented Billboard’s 2022 Woman of the Year by singer-songwriter legend Sheryl Crow. Fresh off her 19th birthday and only a year after the release of her all-consuming single “Drivers License,” it is hard to imagine a time in the pop music industry without Olivia Rodrigo. The young artist stands in good company; past winners of Billboard’s Woman of the Year include Selena Gomez, Cardi B and Madonna, to name a few.

R&B songwriter Jimmy Jam presented the American Express Impact Award to H.E.R. for using her platform to fight for social change and empower women in all facets of life. An award show regular, H.E.R won an Oscar in 2021 for her song “Fight For You,” featured in the film Judas And The Black Messiah.

Summer Walker took home the Chartbreaker Award — her album Still Over It debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 — and Karol G took home the Rule Breaker Award in honor of defying industry expectations and standards.

After an angelic performance of “Kyoto,” Phoebe Bridgers took home the Trailblazer Award, presented by her own mother Jamie Bridgers. In a truly touching moment, Phoebe’s mother said, “I’m so grateful that she’s found a way to use her voice to highlight people and causes she cares about. Sometimes I wish that there was a Phoebe Bridgers when I was a teenager.” Sad indie girls win.

Saweetie was presented with the Game Changer Award by her mother, Trinidad Valentin, for doing just that — changing the game. Saweetie currently has 100 appearances on Billboard’s Top 100 Chart.

Singer-songwriter Jackson Browne presented the Icon Award to Bonnie Raitt, after the pair performed “Angel from Montgomery.” In her acceptance speech, Bonnie Riatt was one of many to talk about the current international state of affairs, dedicating her performance to the women of Ukraine. She is praying “for all the people who are working hard for peace, including the man who started the war. May he have a transformation.”

During the ceremony, World of Woman co-founder Yam Karkai came on stage to address the new realm of digital space in the industry. This was followed by pop singer icon Christina Aguilera to discuss her newest NFT with Madonna and Mariah Carey.

Normani presented Doja Cat, a woman whose otherworldly energy is enchanting, the Powerhouse Award for her album Planet Her. Doja Cat looked ethereal, both on the red carpet on stage. Doja, “I Need To Know”: what is your secret?

The award show proved that female artists are paving the way to leave future generations of musicians a more inclusive and supportive music industry. Although young and new to the scene, Olivia Rodrigo made a powerful pledge in her acceptance speech that summed up the overall message of the night: “I promise everyone here today is working to make this world and this industry a better place for you.”

Grace Shelby is a third year at UCLA, double majoring in Communications and Political Science. Outside of her love for writing, Grace Shelby loves to go thrifting, hiking, and exploring the best independent book stores in LA.