Style > Fashion

Last-Minute Halloween Costumes Are More Fun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Even though I like to plan ahead when it comes to everything else in my life, I have never done that for Halloween costumes. I always say I should start thinking of one, and it somehow never happens until a week or week and a half before October 31st. And honestly, after so many last-minute costumes, I’ve grown to find more fun in creating something at the very end than in planning it a month in advance.

Halloween is a great excuse for going through your closet and combining clothes that you normally would not wear together. Technically, it’s not an “outfit;” it’s a “costume.” And that means much more creative freedom! Have a cute green top and red skirt? Be a strawberry. Have a brown dress and some makeup? Be a deer. If inanimate objects don’t excite you, most of your favorite characters from TV shows wear regular clothes just like you, so there is bound to be something you can come up with.

Doing Halloween this way is not only mentally rewarding, but it is much more wallet-friendly and even sustainable. If pieces are already in your closet, you’re bound to rewear them even after Halloween is over instead of having miscellaneous items you don’t see yourself reusing. You also don’t have to deal with as many packages being delivered to you, and if you do it this way, the main thing you have to worry about might be accessories, which are a lot simpler.

What I really like about it is you don’t have to sit and wait for inspiration to strike you because your inspiration is literally your wardrobe! This makes decision-making a lot easier for someone as indecisive about outfits as I am and just generally saves time in the long run. I like to add to the thrill of it all and pretend I’m on a game show where I can live out my “Chopped” fantasies in the fashion world.

Keep in mind that it is perfectly okay to plan your costume weeks in advance, and I know that might be more “put together” or ideal. However, for costume procrastinators like me, maybe this can be a way to make the costume hunt more appealing or even less embarrassing. It’s really important to keep in mind that choosing a Halloween costume does not have to be this big anxiety-inducing item on your to-do list that’s looming over your head. If you think of it as a chance to try something new out of what you already have, it seems a lot more doable and entertaining.

Neeti is a UCLA student who has loved writing ever since she was born, whether that meant composing poetry or writing opinionated articles. She loves learning languages and is currently learning her fifth one. She loves water, hiking, biking, playing with her dog, and listening to music.