Keenan Burt – ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

This week, I sat down with Campus Celebrity and freshman Keenan Burt to ask him a bit about a typical day in his busy life. He’s known for his trombone-playing skills in UCLA’s Marching Band, but that’s not all he has to offer. Read up for your dose of this kind-hearted and hardworking freshman.

Name: Keenan Burt
Year: Freshman
Hometown: Garden Grove, California

Q: What is your favorite part of being a Bruin?

A: The community that you live in here at UCLA. I love being around so many different people, but they are all people that I have something in common with. I also love when those people happen to be celebrities on campus and I love the respect and reputation that comes along with telling people you are a Bruin.

Q: How do you spend a typical weekday here at UCLA?

A: I wake up to the blaring sound of music from my iHome and vault out of bed to turn the alarm off
before it wakes my roommates up. Then I eat some breakfast and walk to class. After 3-4 hours of class, I go to the gym and either play racquetball with friends (and win) or just work out. Then normally will come dinner and a meeting or event of some sort. Often it is playing in the band at a sports event or a meeting for Rieber hall government. And then finally comes hours of studying!

Q: Is there anything you haven’t gotten the chance to do in LA yet but want to?

A: I really want to go bowling. I haven’t had a chance to outdo my current top score of 200. I also want to go to concerts on Sunset Boulevard or in Hollywood. I want to visit the Museum of Jurassic Technology in Culver City – the name is deceiving, there’s really not much to do with dinosaurs there. And I want to try out the many unique restaurants that I haven’t gotten to yet. Next I want to try Ethiopian food. I hear it tastes better than it looks.

Q: Tell me about the band dynamic. Is there competition between instruments? Trombones vs.
trumpets?

A: Yes there is definitely competition between sections. For example, the Trombone section does a
version of an 8 clap, but instead of UCLA Pride it’s “Trombone Pride.” If you were to hang around for practice you’d probably witness all the other sections booing us during Trombone Pride. It happens every time. Everyone in the band is awesome, but I’ll admit, you always feel that special something within your own section.

Q: What’s been the biggest adjustment at UCLA compared to home life?

A: The work load for the classes is different in a weird way. Although it’s not as much work due in class, I have to be much more responsible and put in a lot of work to get the grades I desire. Also, not seeing my family every day has been very tough; I miss them very much. Thankfully I’m a SoCal kid, so home isn’t too far away. Another big adjustment: practicing self-control in the dining halls is very difficult.

Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.