‘I’m Just A Girl’ Is More Than An Excuse, It’s A Mindset

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you will come up with an excuse or justification for whatever you do. Whether it be doing some unnecessary late night online shopping, or getting yet another sweet treat, using “I’m just a girl” as a justification is my go-to. This phrase perfectly encapsulates the logic behind doing these little things that can totally flip the outcome of your day from negative to positive. It goes along with the notion that life may be chaotic and busy, but at the end of the day we are just individuals who should be able to take a step away from the “rights and wrongs” of society, and instead do things that bring us joy. So, instead of viewing this widespread saying as a pathetic excuse to cover up something that others may judge you for, it’s time to embrace this mindset as an aspect of enjoying life and living it to the fullest. 

At some point last year, the song “Just a Girl” by No Doubt took hold of my entire Tiktok For You Page. I found myself going about my day with these words constantly playing in my mind, which then turned into a saying I would spurt out from time to time, before eventually evolving into a mindset. It allows you to embrace the imperfections of femininity, and feel comfortable doing what you enjoy despite the pressures around you. The song introduced me to the mindset that it’s okay not to be perfect in every aspect, that life is too short to not do the little things that bring you joy, and that mistakes are inevitable so don’t live to avoid them from happening. Similarly to the concepts of “girl math” and “for the plot”, “I’m just a girl” is often overlooked as a lame justification for getting whatever you want, when in reality it is actually an extremely motivating outlook on life. “For the plot” encourages individuals to get out of their comfort zone and try something new that they wouldn’t typically do. “Girl math” is a consciousness surrounding the value of certain investments and promotes financial awareness for women. These two ideas seamlessly align with “I’m just a girl” as they all contain an underlying meaning that inspires personal well-being via things that bring one happiness. 

So why is this phrase from a catchy little tune frowned upon when in reality it has substantial benefits, especially for young women? After all, the saying “boys will be boys” is such a commonly used phrase that is never questioned. When they are messy, disrespectful, lazy, or even unorganized, “boys will be boys” is almost always resorted to not only by the male population, but by society in general. I’ve seen moms use it as an excuse for their sons’ behaviors, and even teachers say it to excuse the actions of their students. It’s used in the same setting as “I’m just a girl” too, which makes it so confusing as to why one is socially acceptable but the other has a negative connotation attached to it. Maybe with the progression of time and female empowerment, “I’m just a girl” will become a widely adopted and justified norm, just like “boys will be boys.”

I wonder if No Doubt knew what they were doing when they created “Just a Girl” in 1995. If only they could see what an impact the simple arrangement of “I’m just a girl” would make on society. These may just seem like words spurred out as a form of rationalization; however, I see it as a promotion of confidence, risk taking, individuality, and trend setting. This ideology radiates a sense of community between young women, who all have a shared understanding of what it means to be “just a girl”. Hopefully one day in the near future, the greater population will understand the significance of this phrase, and comprehend the deeper significance of this mindset!

Hannah is a second-year Economics and Political Science major at UCLA, from Yuba City, California. She enjoys writing about a variety of topics from finance to up-and-coming trends! In her free time she loves baking, going to the beach, exploring the coffee shops of LA, and playing tennis.