Polaroid picture of Gracie Abrams and a fan hugging
Photo by Hanna Blair
Life > Experiences

I Went to Gracie Abrams’s House and Listened to Good Riddance Before its Release

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Gracie Abrams released her debut album Good Riddance one year ago on February 24, 2023 — she says the album is “the first time I’ve done anything musically that felt like 110% myself.” Good Riddance grew Gracie’s monthly Spotify listeners to over 10 million, landed her the opening act slot at Taylor Swift’s The Eras Tour, and got her nominated for Best New Artist at the Grammys. But before it was released for millions of people to hear, Good Riddance was played on a rainy Los Angeles night in a candlelit home of 30 fans. Somehow, I was lucky enough to be one of them. 

I’ve been a fan of Gracie since the release of her first EP, Minor, in 2020. After two and a half years of singing along to her songs as if they were written for me, I felt my world turn upside down when I received a cryptic DM from Gracie Abrams HQ asking for my email address. A few days later, I opened my inbox to an invite from Interscope Records to attend Gracie’s Good Riddance listening party in LA on February 23, 2023.

Gracie’s team didn’t give away many details — including the time and location of the event, which I was told only the morning of and had to promise to keep confidential. However, as a longtime Swiftie familiar with Taylor Swift’s secret sessions, I had a gut feeling about what I was getting myself into. Although I didn’t know if I would be meeting Gracie at the event, I couldn’t help but get excited about it anyway. I had the possibility of meeting one of my greatest artistic inspirations — how could I not be excited?

On the evening of the event, my best friend Karina and I arrived at the secret location alongside 30 or so other fans. Upon meeting Gracie’s team, I knew I was in for an amazing night, whether Gracie would be there or not; her team was so kind, took great care of us, and was as excited as we were. They loaded us onto big black vans and drove us off to another secret location. Karina and I lucked out and got a van all to ourselves. When we weren’t busy chatting with a member of Gracie’s security team during the ride, we were whispering in the backseat, saying things like “Seriously, where are we going?” and “What if Gracie really is there?”

We ended up at a house in Hollywood, empty except for one room with a rug, blankets, pillows, and candles on the floor for a cozy album listen. It also had a gorgeous view of the nighttime Los Angeles skyline — the perfect touch of Good Riddance ambiance. Gracie’s team handed everyone a commemorative shirt and had snacks for us in the kitchen, which I was too excited to eat. As they turned on Good Riddance, the opening notes of the first track, “Best,” made the room fall silent. When the song ended, we all burst into a magical combination of applause, tears, and excited chatter. It was an electric feeling, being in a room with 30 other people passionate about the same artist as you, listening to an unreleased album.

After “I should hate you” — the album’s fifth track with a bridge that made our jaws drop — my wildest dreams came true as Gracie walked into the room. “I can’t believe you’re here!” she said as if we were the artists and she was the fan. She went around the room to hug and talk to each person. Admittedly, I cried when she hugged me. It was special to hug the person behind the music I’ve sought solace in for so long, and I didn’t know much I needed that hug until I got it. She complimented my outfit, saying, “This sweater is amazing, I want it!” not knowing I wore it that day because it reminded me of a sweater she wore in her “Where do we go now?” music video.

Gracie’s team had me go first when it was time to take individual photos with her. “Hi! Come here!” she said, pulling me into another hug as someone on her team snapped a Polaroid of us. Gracie then handed the fresh Polaroid to me, entirely blank and undeveloped, and asked if I liked how it came out. We stared at each other for a second before we burst into laughter and decided to take another on my phone as a backup.

Although I was too speechless to say much, I watched as Gracie gave each fan her undivided attention and had complete conversations with them. Her team didn’t rush anyone to take photos before they were ready. It was a dream meet-and-greet experience, especially considering none of us paid a dime to be there.

After meeting everyone, Gracie said her goodbyes to the whole room, saying she was “sorry for interrupting” the album as if her surprise appearance wasn’t the highlight of our night. “I love you all,” she said, “and seeing you all in the same room makes me so happy!” Before she left, I quickly handed her a plushie dog keychain I brought as a gift just in case she showed up. She laughed as she recognized it as an ode to her dog, Weenie.

We finished the rest of Good Riddance. Although Gracie was gone, the room wasn’t sad. We sat closer together than we did before, having made new friends during the night. As Gracie sang the lyric “I feel like myself right now” during the final track, “Right now,” I realized it was true: I had never felt more like myself than I did then, listening to Good Riddance with my longtime best friend and my several new ones.

As I reflect on the Good Riddance listening party one year later, I find myself thinking the same thing I did when I first received the invitation: out of Gracie’s millions of fans, I don’t know why they picked me. I’ll never know why Gracie and her team trusted me to hold her album close until the rest of the world was ready to hear it, but I know I’ll spend the rest of my life thanking them. As Gracie’s career continues to grow, I’ll remember the one night it was just her, the 30 of us, and Good Riddance. Happy first birthday, Good Riddance. I’m so lucky to know you.

Hanna is an English major at UCLA, from Los Angeles, California. She loves traveling, attending concerts, and writing about her favorite music.