I Watched “The Worst Movie of All Time” And Met It’s Creator: Here’s How It Went 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Last weekend, I took a trip to the Landmark Theater in Westwood. I approached the long line that wrapped outside the theater. Almost everyone waiting to enter held boxes of plastic spoons. Onlookers in Westwood passed by with confused looks, but I had awaited this moment all week. This was a showing of a film dubbed by critics, “the worst movie of all time,” The Room

While most films would run from this title, The Room wears it as a badge of pride. The movie has become a sort of internet cult-classic and has taken on a life of its own. Though, part of its fame stems not from the movie itself, but from its mysterious writer, producer, director and star, Tommy Wiseau. I was lucky enough to attend a screening that included a meet-and-greet and pre-show Q&A with Wiseau himself. 

I don’t have the word count here to delve completely into the Tommy-lore (there’s a lot), but it’s important to note that the movie in its entirety is his masterpiece. Like I mentioned before, he held many roles in production (including funding its entire $6 million budget). In short, this movie is his pride and joy. 

Wiseau’s bold personality radiated through the audience Q&A. He was very quick to correct fans who made false statements in their questions (“that is incorrect”). When asked what historical figure he’d like to have dinner with, he said something along the lines of “I don’t live in the past.” 

When the movie began, I quickly caught on to the heavy audience participation. Think Rocky Horror Picture Show, with watchers yelling lines before they were spoken. Whenever a body of water was shown on the screen, everyone yelled “water!” Throughout the movie, there are various framed pictures of spoons shown. Whenever one of these popped up, the audience catapulted plastic spoons at the screen. 

It’s hard to find the words to explain the movie itself. I would explain the plot, but it really doesn’t have one. In summary, Wiseau plays the main character, Johnny. Though Johnny loves his wife Lisa, she has an affair with his best friend, Mark. That’s really all I can say, you’ve just gotta watch it for yourself. To understand the vibe, watch this clip of one of the film’s most infamous scenes. 

Though the movie lacks any semblance of a plot, I was wildly entertained the entire time. The poorly timed line delivery, introductions and subsequent disappearances of numerous characters and awkward script had me in tears from laughing. 

The cherry on top of the evening was getting to take a picture with Wiseau. As you’ll notice below, he stood inside a giant plastic box (in true Tommy fashion). The Landmark Theater in Westwood does regular showings of The Room, often with Wiseau in attendance. If you are in need of a good laugh and want the most bizarre evening of your life, I can’t recommend this enough. 

Lily is a third year Political Science major at UCLA from Sarasota, FL. In her free time, she loves binge-watching sitcoms, listening to music, and finding new coffee shops.