I Watched The New Season of iCarly: Here’s Why I Love This Reboot 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

As a former Nickelodeon fan (sorry Disney Channel), I was psyched to hear about the iCarly reboot in 2021. A little over a week ago, the first episodes of season three were released. If you haven’t started watching this show, there’s no better time than now. I’ve already binged the three episodes that have been released so far. And I have to admit, this cute nostalgic watch is exactly what I needed during gloomy exam season. 

In my opinion, there are a few requirements for a good TV show reboot. For one, it can’t feel too far detached from the original. Some reboots (cough cough, That ‘90s Show) feel like they have very little to do with the original that we know and love. A reboot needs plenty of nostalgia. Otherwise, it’s just a random show. On the other hand, it can’t be unoriginal or rely too heavily on past storylines. It’s a new show, so it has to have its own draw. I believe iCarly fits these guidelines perfectly. 

Let me catch you up on the show (don’t worry, I’ll make it spoiler free!). Years after the end of the original show, Carly moves back to Seattle. She shares an apartment with her friend Harper, a new character, as Sam isn’t present in the show. Remember her brother Spencer and all his wild sculptures (like the classic butter sculpture)? Well somehow, he managed to make it big and is now a rich and successful artist. 

Freddie’s story, on the other hand, was a bit less predictable. After getting divorced twice and being part of a failed tech startup, Freddie returns home and moves back in with his overbearing mom. He also has become the caretaker of his stepdaughter Millicent. In the midst of a new wave of social media and influencers, Carly and Freddie see the potential to relaunch their web show iCarly. Together, they navigate a new digital age which is far different from when they were younger.

From this show, you can expect the same brand of cheesy goofy humor from the original show. However, as the audience has grown up, so have the characters, so you’ll see more mature plotlines than in the Nickelodeon original. I’ll admit, the jokes can be a little corny at times but honestly, that’s exactly what I expected. I’m a huge fan of sitcoms and shows that I don’t have to take too seriously, so in my opinion, the humor works. 

The show features new plotlines while giving nods to those we remember from our childhood. There’s plenty of dating drama (no spoilers, but it definitely includes references to the old show). There’s also several guest appearances of original characters, like Lewbert (the grumpy doorman), Nora (the crazed superfan) and Nevel (Carly’s arch-nemesis). 

If you’re looking for an easy, binge-able, nostalgic watch, I definitely recommend the reboot of iCarly. New episodes are released every Thursday on Paramount+. Though, the show has still left me with one big question: where in the world is T-Bo??

Lily is a third year Political Science major at UCLA from Sarasota, FL. In her free time, she loves binge-watching sitcoms, listening to music, and finding new coffee shops.