Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer With Notebooks
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Life > Academics

I Studied At 4 Different UCLA Libraries And Here’s What I Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Struggling to find a quality study spot on campus during finals week is the worst feeling. Emotions are heightened, we’re sleep deprived, and the last thing we need is to spend an hour looking for the perfect spot just to go back to your room. So in hopes of avoiding this, I set out to battle four libraries on campus.

4. Young research library: home of the intense stem people

Young Research Library (YRL) is a great spot if you need intense quietness to lock in. It has a very modern and science-y vibe which definitely reflects the majority of students who are working in there. I personally felt like I couldn’t get comfortable in there and kept comparing myself to the people who were intensely scribbling on their iPads. It was surely one of those moments where if I dropped my pencil everyone would break their necks to give me a stare of disgrace. Nothing against the STEM girlies at all, but it just wasn’t a vibe. I do have to say that there are so many different levels to the library which makes it super easy to find a spot to sit down, but sometimes the only thing open is one of the weirdly engineered chairs. Another plus is the fact that they have a cafe inside (which is essential for a caffeine addict like myself). Overall, YRL gets a 10/10 on quietness, a 1/10 on aesthetics and 8/10 on likelihood of getting a seat!

3. Powell Library: The Icon, The Legend

Studying in Powell is absolutely a huge part of the whole UCLA student experience, with bonus points if you’re in Night Powell. It’s reliable, gives Harry Potter aesthetics, and has different sections for all types of quietness. It may be controversial, but I’d refer to it as just the average old library. If I go on any average day, Powell is usually clean and less stressful to navigate, but during finals week Powell is the last thing I want to walk through. The sight of hundreds of stressed kids sitting on uncomfortable wooden chairs while trying to find one open spot is just not how I like to allocate my study time. Also, Night Powell usually consists of rotting academic weapons during week 11 which makes me immediately return back to my clean and comfy room. Although Powell is iconic, it’s not my personal favorite just because of its popularity and hectic feel. Maybe if Powell Cat was still around (R.I.P) I would rank this library higher, but I’d give it 9/10 on quietness, 10/10 in the aesthetic department and 5/10 on getting a seat!

2. UCLA Law Library: Legally Blonde-Core

I think we can all agree on the fact that Legally Blonde is the best movie of all time. I mean the stereotypical “girly” vibe mixed with the determined woman in law journey is simply iconic. Anyway, when I step foot in the Law Library I automatically transform into Elle Woods in that scene where she wants to prove herself to everyone at Harvard. It’s cute, clean, and everything I could ask for. The three floors all encapsulate different moods to study in. The first floor is definitely typical library with long tables and rows of books, but as you make your way up to the second and third floors it feels more and more cozy. Not to mention the beautiful view of Hilgard once you make it to the third floor! The only downside is that this library requires undergrad students to make a reservation. These spots fill super fast and are for four hour periods of time. I do appreciate that they limit the number of people in the library though, since it prevents a hectic environment. Other than that, I feel like it’s comfy enough to not be distracted, but not too comfy to the point where I want to sleep. Hugh and Hazel Darling Law Library gets a 10/10 on quietness, 8/10 on aesthetics and a 3/10 on getting a seat (depending on the day).

1. Rosenfeld Library: For The Besties That Mean Business

I may be biased, but as a biz-econ girl, Rosenfeld is the perfect library on campus! Its optimal location is a ten minute walk from the Hill and five minutes to class (and literally one minute to my classes in Anderson!) It’s a beautiful three story library filled with so many different places to get comfortable and studious. The top floor has so many wooden cubicle-like seats if you want a more isolated study area, the second floor is lined with long tables as well as lounge like chairs, and the third floor has rooms with a classroom feel. The second floor is my favorite since it has these floor-to-ceiling windows that bring in natural lighting and an airy sensation. I find that I can spend the most time in Rosenfeld because of this, and I tend to get the most out of my study sesh in these conditions. Oh, and how can I forget the cafe conveniently located right outside? Once again, a caffeine addict’s dream! All in all, Rosenfeld is just the perfect place on campus for me to study, from its wide variety of seating to its pretty aesthetic. I’d give this library 10’s all across the board!

After evaluating all of these libraries I feel such a great appreciation for the variety of places on campus that accommodate our study needs. Everyone has a different mode of focusing; some like more background noise while others enjoy the intense atmosphere. These are just my personal thoughts on these four, but everyone’s subject to their own ideal library. Also, it’s so important to note that study zones aren’t only limited to UCLA libraries, but there are also a bunch of little hidden gems across campus like upstairs at Kerckhoff or the basement of Moore Hall. So whether you’re feeling extremely focused or just want a cute place to do busy work, there’s a perfect study spot for you on campus!

Hannah is a second-year Economics and Political Science major at UCLA, from Yuba City, California. She enjoys writing about a variety of topics from finance to up-and-coming trends! In her free time she loves baking, going to the beach, exploring the coffee shops of LA, and playing tennis.