Style > Beauty

I Haven’t Gotten A Pimple In Over 2 Years: Here’s How I Did It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I struggled with pimples and acne for the longest time. Pimples were one of my biggest insecurities because they left scars and made me look nothing like the girls I saw on magazine covers. I tried every product under the sun in order to help my skin, but they never worked. However, my years of research finally amounted to something when I noticed my skin clearing up. Disclaimer, I have combination skin, so while most of my skin is dry, my T-zone is oily. These are products that can help people with similar skin to mine, but I wouldn’t recommend them for anyone with more extreme acne problems. 

Hands in Water
Photo by Burst from Pexels

Every morning, I wash my face with the Nature Republic Rose Foam Cleanser using the Vanity Planet Facial Cleansing System. Washing your face with your hands can be really bad for your skin, because your hands have a lot of oils and germs that you could be rubbing into your skin. Hands have also been proven to not efficiently remove all the dirt or makeup from your skin, so I would highly recommend the facial system. The Nature Republic cleanser was one of the first products that helped start clearing up my skin. Korean beauty products have been ahead of American products for years, so I would highly recommend looking into Korean products.

After I wash my face, I immediately apply the Fenty Skin Hydra Vizor Invisible Moisturizer. This moisturizer is a bit pricey, but what I’ve learned over the years is that sometimes you have to spend a little money for quality results. What I love about this moisturizer is that it doesn’t leave a white cast and it’s lightweight if I choose to wear makeup over it. The most important aspect is the SPF, though. I refuse to leave my home without sunscreen because sunscreen can prevent wrinkles and melanoma down the line. If you apply anything at all to your face, it should be sunscreen protection. I can’t express this enough. 

Picture of me with orange hair
Original photo by Allison Oliva

If I’m at home, I usually don’t wear makeup, but if I go out, I wear a full face. When you go out, not only do you have a lot of makeup clogging your pores, but you also have the oils and dirt from the outside world. Before I go to bed, I make sure to take off all my makeup with the same cleanser from the morning. I used to use makeup wipes, but they’re bad for the environment and a lot of cleansers are just as effective. I make sure to remove my makeup with the same cleansing system I use in the morning.

Once I know all my makeup is completely off, I use the Fenty Skin Fat Water Pore-Refining Toner Serum. There’s an incorrect belief that toners can open or close your pores or raise or lower your skin’s pH levels. You pores do not open or close. Toners simply help maintain your skin’s pH at a normal level. 

curology product set with box
Curology

To finish my routine, I apply my Curology night cream. This cream is prescribed to me by a dermatologist. I highly recommend this because it was one of the main products that helped me get rid of the giant zits I got after eating too much candy or when I had too much oil buildup.

If you also have combination skin and you’re struggling with acne, give these products a shot! 

Allison is a feature writer at UCLA who loves hanging out at the beach and eating any kind of dessert.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.