Style > Beauty

I Got Eyelash Extensions: Were They Worth It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Over winter break, I decided to invest in eyelash extensions. I had been considering them for a few months and finally decided to just do it. I have now had them for three weeks, and I think I have a pretty good idea on the pros and cons. If you think you might be interested in getting lash extensions, read on for my thoughts on whether they are worth it! 

First, I will go into detail about the logistics of my lash extensions. I was lucky to find a salon back home that was cheaper than the majority of the ones in LA. The lashes I got were $80 for a 12-millimeter volume set. Before she began applying the lashes, my lash technician was careful to make sure she understood exactly what I wanted my lashes to look like. I explained that I wanted them to look relatively natural but with enough curl and length to make a noticeable difference. My technician also advised me to get a volume set so they would last longer before starting to look sparse and uneven. The actual process only took about an hour, and then I was sent home with really long eyelashes and a free spoolie!

The main pros of having eyelash extensions are the convenience and confidence boost. Though I wish I was able to regularly step out without makeup on and still feel beautiful, the truth is that sometimes I am just not feeling it. I can wake up and instantly feel confident much more easily with my extensions. Of course, this also means that I can shorten my morning routine and sleep in a bit more, which is another huge plus. I was worried that the lashes would require some upkeep to maintain and keep neat, but all I do is brush them with a spoolie in the morning and they are all good to go. After three weeks, they still look really good. Any fallout that has occurred is not noticeable at all. 

However, eyelash extensions are still objectively expensive for basically being glorified makeup. Depending on the style of extensions and which salon you go to, they can cost $100 for a full set. Fills are cheaper than getting a whole set, but if you continue to get your lashes done on a regular basis, it still adds up. Another concern is that I will no longer be comfortable with my natural lashes if I decide to stop getting extensions. I do not want to lose my confidence with my natural self just because I had these lash extensions for a month. 

Before I had extensions, I never wore fake eyelashes at all. Now, I get why some people swear by them. It can just be fun to have long, fluttery lashes sometimes. Overall, I think lash extensions are worth a try if you have the means to afford them. They make me feel prettier and I think that makes them worth it. 

Rachel was the Co-Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus at UCLA in the 2021-2022 academic year. In her free time, she loves hanging around flea markets and exploring different neighborhoods in LA!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.