two women in a relationship
two women in a relationship
Photo by Jessica Meeker
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How To Do Valentine’s Day As A Long-Distance Couple

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

If you’ve read, well, any of my articles this year, you’re probably aware that I have a long-distance girlfriend (shown above). Long-distance is difficult in so many ways, especially on holidays – namely, Valentine’s Day. I mean, what’s the point of celebrating the holiday of love if you’re not making out, sloppy style?

For you other long-distance girlies, you know the struggle. But luckily for you, I’ve carefully composed a how-to guide for those of us who are spending Valentine’s Day away from our significant others this year. 

Virtual Date Night

This one is probably the most obvious of the tips I’m giving, and for good reason. We are so lucky to be living in an age where we can see each other face-to-face no matter how far away we are (even if that’s through a screen). Make use of that on this Valentine’s Day. Hop onto Facetime (or Discord for those of us whose girlfriends’ refuse to get an iPhone) and watch a romantic movie together. You can eat dinner, talk, and celebrate this holiday of love together.

Make Use of Delivery Services

Doordash, Uber Eats, etc. are magic for long distance relationships. Make use of them! Send your partners flowers, chocolate, teddy bears — even dinner is an amazing romantic gesture. This is a great way to make your partner feel appreciated and valued while you’re far apart.

Send Letters

Letters are so underrated. There’s nothing that compares to the joy that I feel when I get a letter in the mail (even if it takes forever for universities to process them). Go to Target, get a card, and mail it to your partner as soon as possible. I promise you that they’ll appreciate the gesture.

Get a Build-a-Bear

I pinky-promise that this article isn’t sponsored, but I am literally the biggest proponent of Build-a-Bear in the world. I mean, what is more perfect than a cuddly, lovely friend that contains the voice of your loved ones? Build-a-Bear is THE store for long-distance couples, and I’m tired of pretending that it’s not.

or try out…

if you want something a little less PG, well… thank me later.

Buy Some Gifts!

If you go to Etsy, you can set the location to where your partner lives and find some local artists that you like. Shipping will be cheaper, and this is a great way to show your love for your partner while you live far away.

Visit An Online Escape Room/Museum

There are so many online adventures available now that can be just as fun as going out. There are a number of great online escape rooms that you can test out. Or, if you want something a bit more relaxed because you get really competitive sometimes, and once told your ex that she was failing in the middle of a mock trial competition because you get heated (don’t look at me!) and you don’t want to hurt your lovely girlfriend’s feelings, there’s lots of museums or art galleries that you can visit online!

Plan Your Next Visit

Unfortunately, if you’re anything like me, virtual date nights and letters just never compare to the real thing. And although us college girlies are broke, it’s always a good time to plan a new trip to go see your partner (remember, if you buy the tickets far enough in advance, then by the time you get to use them, they’re free).

Valentine’s Day, like every holiday, is a time to show your loved ones how much you value and care about them. Don’t let long-distance get in the way of showing your partner your love. Tell them you love them, buy some flowers, and make sure they know they’re the most important person in the world. All of us here at Her Campus at UCLA are wishing you and your partner a very happy Valentine’s Day!

Jessica is a first year English major at UCLA. She loves both reading and writing, having even published her debut novel "The World Above the Waves" in 2022. When she isn't delving into literature, you can find her playing d&d, listening to music, or wherever either her twin sister or girlfriend are. She's so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team.