Here’s Which UCLA Dining Hall You Should Go To Based On Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The choice of what college to go to is made for a lot of different reasons: majors, housing, quality of education and more. However, here at UCLA, something else comes into play that many other students might not have to consider: food. As the nation’s #1 public university in terms of dining quality, we have a lot of different dining options to choose from. So, to make things simple, here’s my list of which dining hall you should go to based on your major:

De Neve: Computer Science

If you’re a computer science major, De Neve is the right dining hall for you. Not only is this the closest dining hall to campus (so you can run and grab some food in between your coding classes), but the food is also prime gamer-fuel. Grab some pizza and a soda before heading back to your dorm to invent the internet or whatever it is you computer people do.

The Study: English

All of our fellow English majors need to check out The Study. Yes, we know it’s a ways up the Hill. But you can grab a book (or two, or three), hike up to Hedrick and set up shop by the fireplace. There’s a faux-library wallpaper so you can feel at home surrounded by books. You can also make yourself comfortable in the sound-proof room in the middle of The Study where you can camp out and get your Jane Austen reading done.

Bruin Plate: Pre-Med

Bruin Plate has a lot of healthy food, perfect for any pre-med (or other life sciences) major. Take a bite at the salad bar, eat some fruit or quinoa and feel good about the fact that you’re going to live longer than the rest of us.

Bruin Cafe: History

Something about soups and sandwiches gives me major (ha!) history major vibes. If you’re a history major, head over to B-Caf, grab some tomato soup and discuss the Cold War with your fellow history buffs.

Spice Kitchen at Feast: Communications

Feast has a new cuisine featured every day of the week, so our communications majors could never get bored of the food there. The aesthetic of this dining hall is one of our favorites on campus, making it the perfect place to grab a bite while working on various marketing strategies.

Rendezvous West: Philosophy

When I was brainstorming for this article, I was stuck on what major Rendezvous West encapsulates. So, I consulted an expert: my girlfriend, who is terrible at choosing any place to eat. She told me, “Burritos make me think of philosophy.” Given the indecision she faces along with my difficulty choosing a major for this dining hall, philosophy is a perfect fit.

Rendezvous East: Political Science

Like Feast, Rendezvous East features a different specialty every week. It’s fast, easy and convenient, making it perfect for our busy political science majors. Plus, given the fact that there’s only one specialty bowl every week, it gives its customers the illusion of choice, just like politics (What? Who said that?).

Epicuria: Civil Engineering

Epicuria is a great dining hall for our civil engineering majors. There, you can get a taste of several different kinds of cuisine that encompass many restaurants in the city. However, the main reason we’re putting you here is so that maybe you all can work together to fix the steps outside this dining hall. They’re too big for one step and too small for two steps. Anyways.

Food Trucks: Physics

One of the amazing things about our on-campus dining options is that food trucks gather in Rieber, Sproul and De Neve Plaza to give students some different options. They take our meal swipes, which is amazing. Physics majors should eat at these food trucks, mostly because these are the only restaurants that move around. 

The Drey: Undeclared

And finally, the dining hall for those of you that have a hard time making decisions: The Drey. At this market on the Hill, you can get anything your heart desires (even if it’s just a lot of snacks). You can be anything, do anything, eat anything.

Since we have a surplus of dining halls, I hope that this made the decision a bit easier for all you readers. If your major wasn’t included, go wherever you feel like! In fact, no matter what your major is, you should try all of the dining halls that UCLA has to offer. The food is amazing and you’ll enjoy it no matter which one you go to.

Jessica is a first year English major at UCLA. She loves both reading and writing, having even published her debut novel "The World Above the Waves" in 2022. When she isn't delving into literature, you can find her playing d&d, listening to music, or wherever either her twin sister or girlfriend are. She's so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team.