Life > Experiences

Going With The Flow: My New Year’s Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I’m not really one to start the new year immediately with a resolution. Normally, I just find one along the way, or I have a general sense of what I want the year to look like. But this year was different because I knew I wanted to make a change.

If you know me really well, you know I’m an overthinker. My brain is just like The Rehearsal by Nathan Fielder, planning out every possible outcome so I can prepare for it in advance. As you can imagine, that takes up a lot of time and mental capacity, so this year I want to spend less time thinking and more time actually doing what I’m thinking about.

To me, “going with the flow” means actually acknowledging the opportunities presented to me instead of immediately writing them off and assuming I’m too busy. It means saying “yes” to more things without having to consider every consequence because I know once I’m there, I won’t regret it.

I’m essentially challenging my brain to take a break from the frustration of not being in control. There is no point in triggering a chain reaction of events by thinking about how something I do right now is connected with something I want to do months from now. I want to make sure I appreciate the present and reside more in the now.

I’m hoping this change in perspective will also help me listen to my gut more and trust myself to handle whatever is thrown my way. I already have proven to myself that I am resilient and capable, but I need to keep reminding myself of that in times of challenge and make it easier to let things go.

Realistically, this adjustment will take frequent reminders and mental checks, but I am willing to be patient with myself if it means I’ll learn to flow from one memorable experience to the next. Overthinking just isn’t worth it sometimes.

Neeti is a UCLA student who has loved writing ever since she was born, whether that meant composing poetry or writing opinionated articles. She loves learning languages and is currently learning her fifth one. She loves water, hiking, biking, playing with her dog, and listening to music.