Life > Experiences

Flixbus: Your New Cheap Way To Travel Longer Distances

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Transportation anywhere in LA is known for its hassle, and big airports like LAX definitely make impromptu trips much harder than they have to be. So when I see affordable options that eliminate the number of Ubers and alternative forms of commute I have to take, I will most definitely look into it. And that’s how I found Flixbus.

CarTour(5395-JNB)
Antonio Vera / Flickr

What first intrigued me about Flixbus is that it seems to travel all over California and is catered to college students with stops directly at UCLA, Cal Poly SLO, USC, UCSD, UCSB and many more. The UCLA stop specifically is at Gayley/Strathmore, making it very accessible and eliminating the need for Uber or other transport that you would take to the airport.

What’s most unique about Flixbus, though, is the affordability. Less than a week ago, I decided I wanted to go back home to the Bay for Veteran’s Day weekend if possible, and even though I decided pretty late, I got a Flixbus ticket from UCLA to Downtown San Jose for $29.99. A ticket gets you a suitcase, a carry-on and a spot on the bus. Keep in mind though that in peak times, like the day before Thanksgiving, prices to the Bay can be as high as $79.99.

I will say, you get what you’re paying for. The ticket I got happened to be an overnight 6-hour journey from 11:55 PM to 5:55 AM with one rest stop along the way, but it was still pretty difficult for me to sleep. Although they let you choose an assigned seat when booking, these seat assignments did not really seem to matter because the driver told us to sit anywhere we wanted. They are also pretty strict about scheduling, so if you do not come to the bus stop or even back from the rest stop in time, they will leave you there. However, besides all that, the bus has surprisingly decent Wi-Fi and a working bathroom for your journey.

Come funziona Flixbus? Alcune informazioni sulla società
Viaggio Routard / Flickr

Most importantly, the bus is convenient, and I felt safe throughout my ride. Once I got on, I didn’t really have to get off until I got to San Jose, and being around a bunch of fellow college students definitely increased my comfort level.

I’m not saying Flixbus has to be your priority way of traveling longer distances in-state, but I will say it is a solid backup option if all else fails. And in a world with flights being delayed or canceled and spontaneous trips home, it’s nice to have an option you can count on that won’t break the bank.

Neeti is a UCLA student who has loved writing ever since she was born, whether that meant composing poetry or writing opinionated articles. She loves learning languages and is currently learning her fifth one. She loves water, hiking, biking, playing with her dog, and listening to music.