Favorite Food Find: Greek Yogurt!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Why I love Greek Yogurt:

Greek yogurt is my favorite food of the month is because it is a nutritious, portable option for a quick breakfast or snack throughout the day.  I have found that I am so crunched for times that many mornings I have to eat breakfast while I am in the elevator or walking to class.  So, after finally getting tired of eating a banana, bagel, or energy bar while on the go each morning, I decided to try something new!  The best part about Greek yogurt, besides the fact that it is a nutritional rock star, is that it is completely portable! 

Here is the nutritional lowdown on Greek yogurt.  Not only is it low in calories but its packed with calcium and protein.  Unlike traditional yogurt, it is strained to remove a lot of the liquid, giving it a thick, creamier consistency.  The protein in greek yogurt will keep you fuller longer and is excellent for people who have a vegetarian or vegan diet.  Greek yogurt is high in calcium but may be lower in lactose because of the straining process, so it is also a better choice for those are lactose-intolerant.  One thing to be careful about with Greek yogurt is its fat content.  For example, Fage’s full-fat Greek yogurt has 16 grams of saturated fat which is about 80% of your daily allowance (based on a 2,000 calorie diet).  So, make sure to read nutrition labels carefully and opt for 2% or 0% versions.  Here is a summary of the nutritional information for 0% fat Greek yogurt:

Calories- 80
Total fat- 0 grams
Cholesterol- 10 milligrams
Sodium- 50 milligrams
Sugar- 6 grams
Protein- 15 grams
Calcium- 15% (based on a 2,000 calorie diet)

Favorite Greek Yogurt Brands:
-Chobani
-Fage
-Oikos
-Trader Joes brand
-Yoplait (yes, they now have a greek yogurt brand!)

Favorite add-ins:
-Honey or agave sweetener
-Frozen berries
-Banana with a little cinnamon
-Almonds, cashews, or your favorite nuts
-Dried cranberries or raisins
-Dark chocolate chips
-Low-fat granola
-Trail mix
-Favorite cereal (Kashi Heart to Heart or Peanut Butter Puffins!)
-Pinch of cinnamon and brown sugar

Nicole Cremer is currently a sophomore at UCLA majoring in Neuroscience. She has a passion for journalism and loves being involved in a variety of extra-curricular activities, including doing research at the UCLA Brain Tumor institute, volunteering with Global Medical Brigades where she traveled to Ghana this past winter to provide health care to over 1,200 people, contributing to the Daily Bruin newspaper as a Video Reporter, and being a part of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. Before becoming the Her Campus Campus Correspond for UCLA, she was a founding member of Her Campus UCLA and wrote a weekly health blog. In her spare time, Nicole enjoys exploring new restaurants and sites around Los Angeles, listening to country music, running (and training for half marathons…maybe a full one someday!), hiking, and spending as much time as she can at the beach!
Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.