Life > Experiences

Easy Ways To Romanticize Fall (Even In Southern California)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Even though it isn’t obvious by walking outside, it is indeed fall, which can be easy to forget in sunny Southern California where I’m still sweating after walking to my classes. But even if the weather doesn’t really reflect the season, the aesthetic of fall is such a good vibe, and we shouldn’t have to miss out on that just because we live in a state that barely has seasons. So, here are a couple easy and cute ideas to really embrace both the fall season and the warm California weather!

Host a fall themed movie night

Invite a group of friends over, supply your best fall snacks and drinks and watch a cute fall movie! Bonus points if you have fun fall-scented candles burning, lights for ambiance, cute little pumpkin or apple themed desserts or fall decor. And fall themed movies could be any sort of Halloween scary movie or, if scary movies aren’t your vibe, a nice romantic comedy is always a great choice.

Indulge in a cold version of your favorite fall drinks 

Walk down to the Starbucks in Westwood and get yourself a pumpkin creme cold brew; I promise you won’t regret it. If coffee isn’t your thing, the pumpkin creme chai is also fantastic (basically anything with the pumpkin creme cold foam). But a hot drink can sound miserable in this weather, so a nice iced fall themed drink is a great way to integrate the season. 

Also indulge in some fall snacks 

I tend to think that the snacks and food that comes along with fall is unmatched. Any sort of pumpkin flavored snack or desert is going to get me everytime, so an easy way to enjoy fall this year is to indulge in any sort of pumpkin snack (I recommend any sort of Trader Joe’s product, but I especially love the Pumpkin Jo Jo’s and the Maple Leaf Cookies). 

Pumpkin carving 

Pumpkin carving is a classic fall/Halloween activity, and it’s a favorite for a reason. Grab some little pumpkins and one of the tool kits down in Westwood (Party City is a good place for the tools), invite some friends over and have a pumpkin carving party. I definitely recommend going for the same fall vibe as the movie night; have some fun food and drinks and maybe even have a little competition to see who can carve the best or funniest pumpkin.

Picnics

Again, a fan favorite and a classic for a reason. Setting up an adorable picnic spread is so much fun, and adding some fall inspiration can really take it up a notch. Grab some cute flowers, a fun quilt or blanket and maybe make a little charcuterie board, and it will definitely feel like fall.

There you have it: five fall activities to get you in the seasonal spirit! We may be in California, but that’s not stopping us from celebrating the best season of the year.

Maia Hull

UCLA '26

Maia is a second year microbiology and immunology major and mathematics minor from San Diego, CA. She loves to read and write, snowboard, go swimming, and hang out with friends, as well as the occasional shopping spree.