Destoryfest concert
Destoryfest concert
Ariana Shahbodaghi

DestroyFest 2024: A Review

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

About a month ago, I went to my first ever DestroyFest. I didn’t even know the other artists that were about to bless me with their performances that night; I had bought the ticket solely to see Destroy Boys. I’ve been a fan of Destroy Boys for a few years now, so you can imagine how excited I was. Safe to say, my expectations were exceeded, with the performances of Kumo99 and illuminati hotties as well. 

Kumo 99

Although I never had the opportunity to be familiar with Kumo 99 prior to this set, I’m pretty much their #1 fan now. The band consists of two members, Ami Komai on vocals and Nate Donmoyer heading the background electronic music. To start off, Ami Komai is a natural born performer. I was literally hypnotized by their outfit, their voice, and how comfortable they seemed on stage. They hit notes I would’ve never imagined possible at the beginning of their set. Donmoyer killed it DJing as well; their beats were insanely catchy and incredibly entertaining. Despite my excitement to see Destroy Boys, I still hoped Kumo 99 would come back on stage for an encore.

illuminati hotties

Even by just arriving on stage, they got the crowd super excited, me included (without even knowing them). Illuminati hotties consists primarily of Sarah Tudzin, whose energy was so incredible, it couldn’t help spreading to the crowd contagiously. The set was perfect coming right before Destroy Boys to really get the crowd ready and hyped. My favorite part of their set has to be the sing-along of freequent letdown she sang, which has to be one of my favorite songs right now. By singing along with us step by step before, I felt the level of enjoyment I feel when I attend a concert of an artist I’ve followed forever. 

Destroy Boys

After an hour between illuminati hotties and their set, everyone was on the edge of their feet for Destroy Boys to come out. They absolutely killed their set, interacting with the crowd, which was going absolutely mad for them. My friend was fully knocked to the ground at one point in the mosh pit. They sang all my favorite songs except for “Piedmont” and even came out for an encore by singing “Fences” (one of my favorites) and a cover of “Should I Stay or Should I Go” by The Clash. There isn’t much to say about the set other than we were basically begging for them to stay for another and another encore. 

Overall, it’s safe to say that I will be attending another Destroy Boys concert in the near future, and maybe even Kumo 99 and illuminati hotties as well, if the opportunity is so presented to me.

Ariana, or Aria, is a third year philosophy major at UCLA. She enjoys fashion, 19th and 20th century feminism novels, cartoons, shoegaze music, rock climbing, baking, and spending time with friends.