absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

DELETE – United We/They/I Stand?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Slutsunite.org.

Now what is the first thing you think of when you hear this?

Does something positive or negative come to mind?

The term “slut” is most often (if I am not mistaken) used in a negative way.  At least that is what it is usually “meant for.”  We all know what “slut” means.  We’ve heard it in hundreds of movies and television shows, songs, parties, bruinwalk, a mean person, read it in countless books and blogs, maybe even used the word once or twice to describe someone.  If however you have innocent ears and have never heard of such a thing in your life, according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary “slut” is “1. A promiscuous woman 2. A loose woman 3. A saucy girl.” Synonyms include: wench, harlot, strumpet, trollop, floozy, doxy, etc. (You get the idea).

Regardless of where or how you may have heard the word used or if you have even used it yourself, slutsunite.org has emerged from the number of birth control discussions, mainly Rush Limbaugh’s use of the word to describe Georgetown Law student Sandra Fluke.  Slutsunite.org is actually the doing of Sir Richard. Yes, the condom makers.   The purpose of the website is to promote a “sex positive movement that brings people together who believe in tolerance, acceptance and personal freedom.”  The site states it is their goal to “take what was intended to be a hateful, derogatory word [i.e. Slut] and change it into something positive through the power of the collective.”  The Sluts Unite Oath is as follows:

“ I believe that sex represents more than just the creation of children.

I believe it is an enjoyable, healthy and a profound part of the human experience.

I also believe that the responsible use of birth control is an essential component of a mature, civilized society.

And if these beliefs make me a slut in some people’s eyes, then so be it.

I will stand united with my fellow sluts, now and always.”

The site also includes a number of social avatars to choose from to promote the oath on various social media websites.

So will you take the oath?

The Website: http://slutsunite.org/

*Random fun fact according to Sir Richard’s website they say their condoms are actually “vegan-certified.”  I’m not promoting them or anything but while I was researching for the article I read this and learned something new.  Just thought I’d share the newfound knowledge with the Her Campus world. 

Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.