Dance Fever: You’ve seen DWTS and SYTYCD, but check these exotic dances of the world!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

With the latest string of recent dance shows and the fight for the world’s shiniest Mirror Ball Trophy on the way on Dancing with the Stars, dance fever is creeping back to center stage. Such reality shows are trying to broaden its dance pool by throwing in styles such as the pa de deux (a duet between two ballet dancers), Bollywood dancing (with cheery bells and flashy bangles), and the lindy hop (a kind of hippity-hoppity jive). But, there are many exotic dance styles from all around the world that aren’t featured on these shows that are worth mentioning and trying out – like these:

1. Hawaii – Hula: Think Shakira is the queen of hip-shaking? Think again. While hula (which literally means “dance” in the Hawaiian language) is mainly stereotyped by coconut bras and grass skirts, it has significant cultural meaning as the “soul of Hawaii.” Traditional hula, called hula kahiko, was danced to chants reciting the history of the people, championing the heroes of old, and recalling the story of creation. Said to be first danced by a deity, hula was originally about the worship of gods. Modern hula differs in that it is danced to the rhythm of drums and the strums of ukuleles, but every single movement of a dancer’s body has a certain meaning. For example, a dancer’s body can become a waving palm tree and her arms the palm branches. Also, while UCLA is pretty chill, hula schools were run like strict, private Catholic schools. Dancers couldn’t cut their hair, couldn’t eat certain food, and had to follow the “rules of conduct”. At least learning to dance it today is more easy-breezy. 

2. China – Ribbon Dancing
    : We can all manipulate our arms to do as we wish – write a paper, grab some pizza, or perhaps occasionally flip someone off. But for ribbon dancers, they can manipulate the sleeves of their costumes that are about 7 feet long. Throw in some life-threatening acrobats, perhaps a spin or two there, a backflip here and you’ve got Chinese ribbon dancing. In contrast to rhythmic gymnasts who dance with a ribbon that weighs one ounce, Chinese ribbon dancers are big on moving their heavier silk sleeves gracefully like water so as to accentuate their arm movements. Stemming from the Tang Dynasty, long sleeves were used to represent the morality of the Confucian code. But in a ribbon dance, they are whirled around, snapped, and flung. It is the sleeves that express the range of emotions in this dance. Remember though, if you decided to learn this dance, rolling your sleeves back is a faux pas. Whip ‘em like your hair, girlfriend! 
  3. The Middle East – Ghawazi: If hula dancers are masters of hip-shaking, then the Ghawazi were masters of belly movement. The Arabica term Ghawazi actually means “conqueror” in reference to how the original female dancers who created this style sought to “conquer the hearts of her audience”. This concept gave rise to the sensuality of the dance, which led to the baladi (the folk dance of Arab tribes) and then to raqs sharqi (Egyptian belly dancing). The thing about Ghawazi and traditional belly dance though is that it is not just about belly movement; it is about the manipulation of the entire body to music. So if you decide to learn this dance, make like a snake and move!

4. Dominican Republic – Bachata:
    The bachata of modern day is generally classified as being a feisty dance with dizzying turns and rhythmic beats but it actually started as the Dominican Republic’s own version of the bolero, a romantic, classical dance of love. It is said that servants were the ones who pioneered the bachata movement as they danced to the beat of whatever was lying around (like fences or garbage cans) after a long day of working. Traditionally danced in close position with the partners facing each other this dance is distinct from other Latin dances in that it uses hip sways with a hip pop on the forth beat, as opposed to the figure 8 movements of other dances. Keep a lookout for this dance – it’s seeping back into the public’s eye and rapidly climbing in popularity.
  5. India – Bhangra and Giddha: The cool thing about Bollywood dancing is that an entire mass of people can dance the same simple movements, but be in perfect sync. Characterized by crisp beats, festive clothes, and lively steps, the Bhangra utilizes this same concept. This dance originated in Punjab, India as a folk dance to celebrate a harvest but is now danced at all sorts of occasions ranging from New Years to weddings. If the guitar is the instrument of the bachata, then the instrument of Bhangra is a 15 inch high-bass drum called a dhol. Originally men exclusively danced this dance, but today women can dance it too. But, girls also have their own vigorous dance called the Giddha. This dance is just as lively as the Bhangra if not more so with quick and sharp footwork. Dancers would dance to the claps of their hands while singing folk poetry, called boli, lamenting of love gone by, ranting about good-for-nothing husbands, and other such family relations.

6. France – Ballet d’Action
    : Most little girls have tried on pink tutus, slipped on pink ballet slippers, and posed in front of a mirror dreaming of dancing the part of the Swan Queen in Swan Lake. Most of us quit classes before reaching 12 years old (when our feet are strong enough to handle pointe shoes), but not before learning that traditional ballet is about perfect technique, extravagant costumes, and flawless stage make-up. In ballet d’action; however, all of that means next to nothing. It is ballet in its rawest form. Pioneered by choreographer Jean Noverre, spectacle is second. Instead of throwing in moves to show-off a dancer’s perfect technique, movements were used to express emotion. If this is your cup of tea, remember it’s never too late to learn to be ballerina.

Pictures:
http://www.lowcountrynights.com/resources/couple-dancing-bachata-studio.jpg
http://www.timesunion.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&…

Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.